public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>
To: paolo@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: libstdc++/8469: Obsolete iostream.h and fstream.h?
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/8469; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>
To: rdnjr@houston.rr.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 19:14:03 -0500

 On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 09:36:06PM -0000, rdnjr@houston.rr.com wrote:
 > Compiling any program that includes iostream.h, or fstream.h yields an
 > 'Obsolete header file' warning, but will NOT compile the program.

 And the error message is...?  We're not telepathic.

 > If I take
 > those includes out and replace cout's with printf's, so on and so forth,

 Then you're no longer using the C++ library.

 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > compile any program with '#include <iostream.h>', and include a 'cout <<' statement in it.

 This works for everybody else.

 The I/O headers with .h were never part of any language standard, so their
 contents vary from one compiler to another.  We provide them just to help
 in moving old C++ code to correct C++ code.  You may be assuming that a
 .h file provides more than it does.

 As a start, try including <foo> instead of <foo.h>, and placing a 'using'
 statement after the header.

 Phil

                                                  - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002