public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Ron Eastman <ron_eastman@schonfeld.com>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: c++/8542: GBD broken under gcc 3.2 - can't print any local variables or class members
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR c++/8542; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ron Eastman <ron_eastman@schonfeld.com>
To: karinc@adsmr.co.za, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	drow@mvista.com, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:17:33 -0800

 Salutations,

 I've been having the same problem with gcc 3.2 and gdb...

 I don't know whether this will be of much use to anyone, but  after some
 amount of experimentation it seems to me that the problem is related in
 somehow to objects which have destructors (or constructors?). Unfortunately
 the code I am working on is large and proprietary, so I can't provide you
 with an example as I would like. What I found --by removing all the code
 from main() and then adding it back bit by bit--is that a certain point was
 reached where, if I added just one additional declaration (e.g. "string
 datapath;") then when compiled and fired up in gdb, the local variables are
 not visible. Remove that one declaration, and they are. I don't think there
 was anything wrong with that particular declaration--other string variables
 were declared further up in main. Furthermore, if instead of "string
 datapath" I put in "double foo;", then local variables ARE visible. "double"
 has no destructor. Make it "vector foo;" and the problem returns.  I tried
 several different objects with constructors/destructors and reliably
 reproduced the problem. Note also that: if I put braces around the
 declaration ("{string foo;}") then the problem disappeared.

 I hope this helps.

 Ron Eastman

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&p
 r=8542