public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: bootstrap/6825: [Sun OS 4.1.4] gcc 3.1 fails to build
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/6825; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:13:02 +1000 (EST)

 On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

 > Thanks for your attempts. I think first priority would be to make the
 > thing running. Warnings are not taken particularly important.

 sure.

 i think, from the feedback i got from david miller and matt green, the
 C compiler builds ok on sunos 4.1.4

 it is only the c++ compiler that has a problem (i haven't tried the building the
 ada/java/objc/fortran compilers as i have never used them).

 the problem seems to be because gcc3 doesn't ship with (or sunos doesn't have?)
 definitions for a bunch of functions that it thinks it should find, e.g for
 div_t and so on.

 > > ./configure --prefix=/opt/local/stow/gcc-3.2.1 --enable-languages=c,c++
 > > and
 > > make -j2 CFLAGS=-O2 LIBCFLAGS=-O2 LIBCXXFLAGS=-O2 -fno-implicit-templates bootstrap-lean
 >
 > First, since this failed, could you retry by building in a separate
 > build-directory, as the installation instructions recommend? I.e., if
 > gcc-3.2.1 is you src dir, then make a parallel directory build and call
 >   ../gcc-3.2.1/configure --...
 >   make bootstrap

 i'll try that.  will it make much of a difference ?

 > Also, what happens if you don't specify CFLAGS et al? As far as I know the
 > stage2 build already uses optimization flags, so there is no need to also
 > use them for the first two stages (apart from possibly tripping your
 > bootstrapping compiler).

 haven't tried without the cflags.  at this stage i am assuming the problem
 is specifically with function definition issues for c++, which wouldn't
 be influenced by the cflags (but please let me know if i am wrong)

 when i get a little more time, i am going to try and find all the missing
 functions on another more up to date OS and see if i can reuse them on
 sunos4.

 regards,

 -jason