public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@uni-mannheim.de>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: c++/9265: exception handling faulty wenn linking PIC objects to non PIC ones
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR c++/9265; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@uni-mannheim.de>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
Cc: cc@pi3.informatik.uni-mannheim.de, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:05:00 +0100

 --wac7ysb48OaltWcw

 On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:03:01AM +0100, Robert Schiele wrote:
 > Thanks.  With your crtbegin.o it also works for me.  So I will try to
 > build a gcc 3.2 with binutils 2.12.x.x.x to check whether it makes a
 > difference which binutils are used to build the compiler.

 Well, I got the switch that triggers it: HAVE_LD_EH_FRAME_HDR

 If this Macro was defined, the crtbegin code cannot handle the
 situation I described in the bug report.  Without it can handle the
 situation quite sane.  This is the case with _all_ compilers since 3.2
 release.  (I haven't an older one at hand to test.)

 Obviously this switched is on if you used binutils 2.12.x.x.x at
 configure time as they support this feature, but 2.11.x.x.x do not and
 such it is turned off there.  So it is perfectly clear now, why you
 couldn't reproduce the problem.

 This means the problem obviously is in the crtstuff code that handles
 eh_frame_hdr stuff.

 So we need some binutils gurus here.

 Robert

 --=20