The following reply was made to PR c++/10112; it has been noted by GNATS. From: "Giovanni Bajo" To: "Wolfgang Bangerth" , , , , Cc: Subject: Re: c++/10112: static data member is not correctly initialized Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 02:36:55 +0100 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Wolfgang Bangerth" To: ; ; ; ; Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 1:15 AM Subject: Re: c++/10112: static data member is not correctly initialized Wolfgang, objects of POD types are statically initiliazed if and only if the initiliazer is constant, and that's not the case of the above snippet. This is very clear in §3.6.2p1, which I quoted (it's the same paragraph that introduces the concept of "static initialization" and "dynamic initalization"). Since my quote was maybe confusing because stripped down to the minimum, I post the full paragraph: ------------------- The storage for objects with static storage duration (3.7.1) shall be zeroinitialized (8.5) before any other initialization takes place. Zeroinitialization and initialization with a constant expression are collectively called static initialization; all other initialization is dynamic initialization. Objects of POD types (3.9) with static storage duration initialized with constant expressions (5.19) shall be initialized before any dynamic initialization takes place. Objects with static storage duration defined in namespace scope in the same translation unit and dynamically initialized shall be initialized in the order in which their definition appears in the translation unit. ------------------- It seems clear to me that A::p1 cannot be statically initialized, and thus must follow the order of definition. Oliver, I think you are misreading the standard. If you de-legalise 14.7.1, it basically says that the compiler must generate code only for template (member) functions that are really used in the code. For completeness, it also says that static data members must be intialized only if they are really used, but it does not say in any way that initialization must be done WHEN the member is effectively used. In fact, all the initialization of static data members and non-local objects (like global static variables) must be done before main(), like §3.6.2 explains. Nathan, I agree that the order of instantiation is implementation defined, but the initialization of the static data members should happen before any template is instantiated. §14.7.1p8 decouples initialization of static data members and instantiation of class templates, saying that <>. In fact, <> (§9.4.2p7), <> (§3.6.2p1) (and of course only if <> (§14.7.1p1). In the end, I believe that this is a bug in GCC, and other compilers (VC 7.1, Comeau 4.3.0) seem to agree. Giovanni Bajo