public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: schnetter@uni-tuebingen.de
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: web/10254: Explain binary compatibility to other vendors' compilers
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:56:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>Number:         10254
>Category:       web
>Synopsis:       Explain binary compatibility to other vendors' compilers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    gerald
>State:          open
>Class:          doc-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Mar 28 11:56:01 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Erik Schnetter
>Release:        unknown-1.0
I have been searching the web pages to find out whether g++ 3.3 and Intel's icc 7.1 are binary compatible.  I found no such pages on the gcc web site, only a page on Intel's site at http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/c/linux/iccgcclink.htm.

However, this page does not give any details of what might go wrong, what the symptoms are, what to avoid, or whether there are plans to become more compatible.

It would be nice if gcc had such a page itself, possibly extended to other languages and other vendors.  Possibly such a page already exists, and I just didn't find the link.  For the beginning, it would be enough to point to other vendors' pages that exist.