public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: bootstrap/7800: underscore.c:0: malformed option `-A system=posix'
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 22:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7800; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@dealii.org>,
    mikerushford@eyes-on-the-skies.org
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/7800: underscore.c:0: malformed option `-A
 system=posix'
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 15:37:17 -0700

 Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@dealii.org> wrote:
 >   Zack posted this question a while ago:
 >
 >      This error indicates that the bootstrap compiler is picking up the
 >      specs file for the just-built compiler; naturally this cannot work.  I
 >      am not sure how it could have happened -- please repeat the command I
 >      quoted, with an additional -v option tacked on the end, and post the
 >      output.

 Wow, this is old.  I did track down one way this could happen, and
 papered it over by removing underscore.c.
 See http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-09/msg00271.html (ignore
 the subsequent thread, which is mostly sound and fury about who owns
 the c++filt executable).

 I hesitate to call the problem resolved, however, because there is
 nothing intrinsically *stopping* Make from generating $build/gcc/specs
 before we are done using the bootstrap compiler.  I don't know why the
 bootstrap compiler was reading $build/gcc/specs in the first place,
 but my theory is it was a bug in gcc 2.95, which it is far too late to
 fix now.

 A larger question is why do we generate that file at all?  It is an
 exact dump of the specs compiled into the driver; as such I see no
 purpose for it other than to slow down the driver by making it read
 the file on every invocation.  People who want to hand-hack the specs
 file can always use -dumpspecs to get a copy first (of course, this
 would need documentation, if we made that change).

 zw