public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: target/10213: [3.4 regression] optimization problem with ix86 fast prologue with -O2 -fPIC
@ 2003-05-15  0:36 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-05-15  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/10213; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com>
To: jh@suse.cz, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, snyder@fnal.gov
Subject: Re: target/10213: [3.4 regression] optimization problem with ix86 fast prologue with -O2 -fPIC
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:29:42 -0700

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-
 trail&database=gcc&pr=10213

 Hello,

 with gcc 3.2, 3.3 branch and mainline cvs (20030511), I get the same
 output on the first and second lines with this testcase (when compiled
 with -O2 -fPIC). ie 3.4 gives:
 402341ec
 402341ec

 It seems like the bug has been fixed. Is that true? Thanks,

 Dara

* Re: target/10213: [3.4 regression] optimization problem with ix86 fast prologue with -O2 -fPIC
@ 2003-05-19 13:56 Jan Hubicka
From: Jan Hubicka @ 2003-05-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/10213; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz>
To: snyder <snyder@fnal.gov>
Cc: Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz>, bangerth@dealii.org,
	gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:51:43 +0200

 > hi -
 >
 > >Jan Hubicka writes:
 > >Can you point me to the patch?  I was off for a while and missed the
 > >thread.  In case the fast prologues was disabled, I would like to fix
 > >the real problem instead.
 >
 > I think this is the patch that i was remembering:
 >
 > Thu Apr  3 00:18:49 CEST 2003  Jan Hubicka  <jh@suse.cz>
 >
 >         * i386.c (override_options):  Disable red zone by default on i386.
 >         (compute_frame_layout, ix86_force_to_memory, ix86_free_from_memory):
 >         Do not test TARGET_64BIT together with TARGET_RED_ZONE
 >

 > I admit i never looked at the actual code, though, to be sure
 > of what it was doing.  When i saw that appear in the changelog,
 > i thought that it was a reaction to the bug that i had reported...
 I see,
 that patch disable red zone on i386, where one can't use it but not for
 x86-64, so the code path is not dead.  The bugreport is ineed solved and
 can be closed.  Thanks!

 Honza

@ 2003-05-19 13:54 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-05-19 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jh, nobody, snyder

Synopsis: [3.4 regression] optimization problem with ix86 fast prologue with -O2 -fPIC

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Mon May 19 13:54:27 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Jan says so.

@ 2003-05-19  4:36 snyder
From: snyder @ 2003-05-19  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/10213; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: snyder <snyder@fnal.gov>
To: Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz>
Cc: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, jh@suse.cz,
   nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 18 May 2003 23:32:34 -0500

 hi -

@ 2003-05-18 18:46 Jan Hubicka
From: Jan Hubicka @ 2003-05-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/10213; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	jh@suse.cz, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, snyder@fnal.gov,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 20:40:46 +0200

@ 2003-05-15  4:41 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-05-15  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jh, nobody, snyder

Synopsis: [3.4 regression] optimization problem with ix86 fast prologue with -O2 -fPIC

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->feedback
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Thu May 15 04:41:54 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    So, Scott, what's your verdict: should it be closed? What's
    the state on the 3.3 branch?

    Other question: if it's "fixed" by just disabling something
    (is this what you mean by "switching off") -- will we see
    the problem happening again if this code patch is switched
    on again by someone? Or was the code that produced the
    wrong code removed altogether? If this isn't the case, then
    I'd say we should keep the report, but lacking technical
    insight I leave this up to you.

    Thanks
      W.

@ 2003-05-15  1:06 snyder
From: snyder @ 2003-05-15  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/10213; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: snyder <snyder@fnal.gov>
To: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com>
Cc: jh@suse.cz, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 14 May 2003 20:00:00 -0500

 >It seems like the bug has been fixed. Is that true? Thanks,

 Yes, it was fixed on the mainline, i think by turning off
 the fast prologues.  (I had thought that the PR was closed
 too; maybe not..)
 sss

* Re: target/10213: [3.4 regression] optimization problem with ix86 fast prologue with -O2 -fPIC
@ 2003-03-26  8:31 steven
From: steven @ 2003-03-26  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jh, nobody, snyder

Old Synopsis: 3.4: optimization problem with ix86 fast prologue
New Synopsis: [3.4 regression] optimization problem with ix86 fast prologue with -O2 -fPIC

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: steven
State-Changed-When: Wed Mar 26 08:22:58 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Confirmed

    # gcc-3.3 10213.cc -O2 -fPIC
    # a.out