public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: bootstrap/10805: [sun-solaris2.7] relocation error when creating sparcv9/libgcc_s.so.1
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/10805; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr>
To: Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@ens.fr>
Cc: <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
 <nobody@gcc.gnu.org>,
 <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 17:11:49 +0200

 > One difference is that I do not have this patch. I will try to install it
 > as soon as I can. For the bootstrap compiler, I used:
 > cc: Sun WorkShop 6 2000/04/07 C 5.1
 > gcc (GCC) 3.2.2
 >
 > And both give the same result.

 Steven Christensen tried with GCC 3.2.3 too and same result.

 > >     Could you determine at which stage bootstrap fails?
 > >     If the compiler's C source files were latterly compiled by cc, it's
 > > stage1. If they were compiled by stage1/xgcc, it's stage2 and if they
 > > were compiled by stage2/xgcc, it's stage3.
 >
 > first there is a lot of gcc. Then this gcc/xgcc. Actually this should be
 > clearer:
 >
 > make[3]: *** [sparcv9/libgcc_s_sparcv9.so] Error 1
 > make[3]: Leaving directory `/global/lavarenne/download/gcc-3.3/gcc'
 > make[2]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
 > make[2]: Leaving directory `/global/lavarenne/download/gcc-3.3/gcc'
 > make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
 > make[1]: Leaving directory `/global/lavarenne/download/gcc-3.3/gcc'
 > make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

 Ok, it's stage1. Given that we have the same problem with 3 different
 bootstrap compilers, I'm inclined to suspect the Sun assembler.

 > With the messages:
 >
 > ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_32: file libgcc/sparcv9/_muldi3.o:
 > symbol <unknown>:  offset 0xffffffff7ec133e7 is non-aligned
 >
 > ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_64: file libgcc/sparcv9/_muldi3.o:
 > symbol <unknown>:  offset 0xffffffff7ec133eb is non-aligned
 >
 > ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_64: file libgcc/sparcv9/_muldi3.o:
 > symbol <unknown>:  offset 0xffffffff7ec133f3 is non-aligned
 >
 > ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_32: file libgcc/sparcv9/_muldi3.o:
 > symbol <unknown>:  offset 0xffffffff7ec13867 is non-aligned
 >
 > ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_32: file libgcc/sparcv9/_muldi3.o:
 > symbol <unknown>:  offset 0xffffffff7ec14a2f is non-aligned
 >
 > But about all the .o give this kind of messages.

 I think the relocations type R_SPARC_32 and R_SPARC_64 are wrong here because
 the offsets are rightfully unaligned. The same dump on my Solaris 7 box
 shows only R_SPARC_UA32 and R_SPARC_UA64 types which are described by the
 Sun docs as follows:

 R_SPARC_UA32

     This relocation type resembles R_SPARC_32, except that it refers to an
 unaligned word. That is, the word to be relocated must be treated as four
 separate bytes with arbitrary alignment, not as a word aligned according to
 the architecture requirements.

 --
 Eric Botcazou