public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* target/10663 (was Re: non-portable construct in gcc configure script)
@ 2003-05-16 20:26 Kelley Cook
From: Kelley Cook @ 2003-05-16 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jakub; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/10663; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kelley Cook <kcook34@ford.com>
To: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: target/10663 (was Re: non-portable construct in gcc configure script)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 16:15:44 -0400

 Joe Buck wrote:
 > In the test labeled
 >
 > AC_MSG_CHECKING(linker read-only and read-write section mixing)
 >
 > gcc/configure.in in 3.3 uses "grep -A1".  This feature is not in Solaris's
 > grep.  It's not in the HP-UX grep either.
 >
 > The result is that the configure output looks like
 >
 > checking linker read-only and read-write section mixing... grep: illegal option -- A
 > grep: illegal option -- 1
 > Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .
 >
 > on Solaris 2.8.  The failure appears harmless, but I'm not sure.

 There is another non-portable feature in that exact same test.

 I sent a patch for it a few weeks ago, if someone would like to review that
 at the same time.

 --- forward ----
 Cygwin is not completing the "linker read-only and
 read-write section mixing" configure test. It aborts with:

 conftest1.s: Assembler messages:
 conftest1.s:1: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
 character is `"'

 It seems that Cygwin's "as" doesn't like double-quotes
 surrounding it's section names.  This in itself may or may
 not be a bug, but it that is not what this particular
 conftest is testing.  Regardless, from what I can gather
 from the gas docs not having the quotes should be OK on all
 targets.

 Kelley Cook

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-05-16 20:26 UTC | newest]