public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: bootstrap/9451: Cannot build cross gcc /w shared libs
@ 2003-05-17  6:58 giovannibajo
From: giovannibajo @ 2003-05-17  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, thomas.koeller

Synopsis: Cannot build cross gcc /w shared libs

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: bajo
State-Changed-When: Sat May 17 06:57:48 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    See Dara's question.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=9451

* Re: bootstrap/9451: Cannot build cross gcc /w shared libs
@ 2003-05-14 19:06 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-05-14 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/9451; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com>
To: thomas.koeller@baslerweb.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/9451: Cannot build cross gcc /w shared libs
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 12:02:49 -0700

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-
 trail&database=gcc&pr=9451

 Hello,

 could the submitter of this bug report please include the exact options
 they are using to configure gcc and the exact message that the build is
 failing with? Finally, if it is possible to check whether this problem
 still exists on gcc 3.3, that would be great. Thanks,

 Dara

* bootstrap/9451: Cannot build cross gcc /w shared libs
@ 2003-01-27 15:36 thomas.koeller
From: thomas.koeller @ 2003-01-27 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         9451
>Category:       bootstrap
>Synopsis:       Cannot build cross gcc /w shared libs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          support
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Jan 27 15:36:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Thomas Koeller
>Release:        gcc-3.2.1
I am trying to configure and build a cross compiler for a powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu target to run on a i686-pc-linux-gnu host. The target C library is glibc-2.3.1, built as a shared library. The build process fails when it comes to building libgcc. The error message I get is about being unable to read symbol information from /lib/libc.so, and so I looked at the Makefile and found that it attempts to link libgcc with libc. It does this by defining SHLIB_LC as '-lc'. When I redefine SHLIB_LC as an empty string, the problem goes away. I do not quite understand why libgcc would be linked against libc at this stage.

I also noticed that the compiler invokes collect2 to link libgcc, even though I am using GNU ld (and specified -with-gnu-ld as a configure argument). I always assumed collect2 was only required to overcome deficiencies in non-GNU linkers?