public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: target/6428: [hppa*-hp-hpux] gmon.out is not generated when application to be profiled is linked with shared libgcc
@ 2003-05-17 16:56 John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2003-05-17 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/6428; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "John David Anglin" <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
To: dhazeghi@yahoo.com (Dara Hazeghi)
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: target/6428: [hppa*-hp-hpux] gmon.out is not generated when application to be profiled is linked with shared libgcc
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 12:46:39 -0400 (EDT)

 > http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-
 > trail&database=gcc&pr=6428
 >
 > Hello,
 >
 > this bug was first mentioned a good while back, but there have been no
 > updates in the audit trail. Has there been any progress on this issue?
 > Is the bug still present in current gcc versions? Thanks,

 Yes, it still affects the current versions.  G++ by default uses the
 shared version of libgcc.  It has a hardcoded dependence on the shared
 non-profiled version of libc.  So, when you compile and link with
 "-p" or "-pg", the linking process resolves libc routines from the
 non-profiled version of libc.  This also would be an issue if any
 other shared library with a dependence on libc was linked into the
 application.

 The simplest work around is for the user to link with -static when
 using -p or -pg.  I had debated a doc update but haven't done it.

 Dave
 --
 J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
 National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)

@ 2003-05-17  9:56 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-05-17  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/6428; it has been noted by GNATS.