public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: preprocessor/10743: Build error for CPP when building Cross compiler and host and target have diff character sets (i370)
@ 2003-05-19 20:20 neil
From: neil @ 2003-05-19 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, ivan, nobody

Synopsis: Build error for CPP when building Cross compiler and host and target have diff character sets (i370)

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: neil
State-Changed-When: Mon May 19 20:20:20 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    I believe this is fixed in 3.4.  If not, let me know and I will reopen it.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10743

@ 2003-05-20 10:12 Ivan Warren
From: Ivan Warren @ 2003-05-20 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR preprocessor/10743; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ivan Warren" <ivan@vmfacility.fr>
To: <neil@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>,
        <ivan@vmfacility.fr>, <nobody@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: RE: preprocessor/10743: Build error for CPP when building Cross compiler and host and target have diff character sets (i370)
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:29:10 +0200

 Hello Neil,

 I fetched the latest CVS (gcc_ss_20030519 I believe).. And there is =
 still an
 unresolved reference in cpplex.c when link editing cpp0 :

 *** Compile log snippet : ****
 gcc   -g -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_COMPILE  -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings
 -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -pedantic -Wno-long-long
 -fno-common   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE  -o fix-header =
 fix-header.o \
 c-incpath.o cppdefault.o scan-decls.o prefix.o scan.o libcpp.a
 ../libiberty/libiberty.a
 libcpp.a(cpplex.o)(.text+0x1e0d): In function `cpp_interpret_charconst':
 /data/unsaved/ivan/gcc-3.4-cvs/i370-ibm-mvs/gcc/../../gcc/gcc/cpplex.c:16=
 14:
 undefined reference to `mvs_map_char'
 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 make[1]: *** [fix-header] Error 1
 make[1]: Leaving directory =
 `/data/unsaved/ivan/gcc-3.4-cvs/i370-ibm-mvs/gcc'
 make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
 *** End of snipper ****

 My local workaround is to add a local definition for mvs_map_char in a =
 file
 (which returns the parameter), which gets linkedited with cpp0 (but not =
 with
 cc1).. I know this is a VERY DIRTY hack, so it's nothing but a local
 workaround (i.e. it's not a fix !)

 Mapping of MAP_CHAR to mvs_map_char is needed in cpplex.c (but only =
 during
 the compile) otherwise constants are in the wrong page code during a =
 compile
 (for example '%' gets mapped to 0x25(ascii) instead of 0x61(ebcdic) in =
 the
 assembly.. But it's irrelevant during the cpp stage (which generates on =
 the
 "host" system anyway, not the target system)..

 The fix may not be trivial (mainly because the code page used for cpp0
 output is the same as the host system (if I understand how it works
 correctly) while the code page used for cc1 output is the one of the =
 target
 system)...

 I believe (but again, I am a complete newbie in terms of compilers) that
 this could be a general issue when dealing with cross compiles which =
 bear
 completelly different character sets.. And when the character conversion
 code is held by the target backend (I hope I'm using the term backend
 properly ! LOL)..

 Anyways.. Thanks for the support ! And let me know if you need any extra
 information (because what I am trying to do may not be trivial at all..)

 Cheers,

 --Ivan

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=3Dview%20audit-trail&database=3D=
 gcc&p
 r=3D10743

@ 2003-05-20 12:10 neil
From: neil @ 2003-05-20 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, ivan, neil, nobody

Synopsis: Build error for CPP when building Cross compiler and host and target have diff character sets (i370)

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->neil
Responsible-Changed-By: neil
Responsible-Changed-When: Tue May 20 12:10:27 2003
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    I will fix over the next few days.
State-Changed-From-To: closed->analyzed
State-Changed-By: neil
State-Changed-When: Tue May 20 12:10:27 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    I thought I'd removed all target dependencies in cpplib a few weeks ago.  However, a single one remains as you've noted.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10743