public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Joseph Myers <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: jsm28@cam.ac.uk
Subject: libgcj/5303: Undocumented java programs
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:56:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>Number:         5303
>Category:       libgcj
>Synopsis:       Undocumented java programs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          doc-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Jan 07 11:56:00 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Joseph S. Myers
>Release:        3.1 20020107 (experimental)
>Environment:
System: Linux digraph 2.2.20 #2 Sat Nov 10 16:44:22 UTC 2001 i686 unknown
Architecture: i686

host: i686-pc-linux-gnu
build: i686-pc-linux-gnu
target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
configured with: ../gcc-cvs/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc/mainline --disable-shared --enable-threads=posix --with-system-zlib

GCC now installs the following Java-related programs without any
documentation: they are not documented in gcj.texi, nor in their own
Texinfo manuals, nor even in man pages (though man pages would not be
sufficient for GNU documentation).

addr2name.awk (which is also broken; it starts #!/bin/awk when awk is
in /usr/bin on my system, rather than being properly autoconfigured).

grepjar (which doesn't even support --help)

jar (which doesn't support --help though the usage message it gives
when passed --help isn't far off correct --help output)

jv-convert (which doesn't support --help)

rmic (which doesn't support --help though the usage message given
isn't far off correct --help output)

rmiregistry (which, given --help, crashes with a backtrace on my
system, then hangs)

Of these, addr2name.awk, jar and jv-convert were already present and
undocumented in 3.0.x.  The others are new, and so constitute
regressions in documentedness.

>How-To-Repeat:

Try to find documentation of any of the above programs.

>Fix:

Document the above programs.  Failing that, remove (or at least
disable installation of) all the undocumented programs that are new
since 3.0 before 3.1 is released.