Hi Raiki Excellent work on getting up to speed on the rust front-end. From my perspective I am interested to see what the wider GCC community thinks about using https://www.gnu.org/software/libunistring/ library within GCC instead of rolling our own, this means it will be another dependency on GCC. The other option is there is already code in the other front-ends to do this so in the worst case it should be possible to extract something out of them and possibly make this a shared piece of functionality which we can mentor you through. Thanks --Phil On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 at 16:19, Raiki Tamura via Gcc wrote: > Hello, > > My name is Raiki Tamura, an undergraduate student at Kyoto University in > Japan and I want to work on Unicode support in gccrs this year. > I have already written my proposal (linked below) and shared it with the > gccrs team in Zulip. > In the project, I am planning to use the GNU unistring library to handle > Unicode characters and the GNU IDN library to normalize identifiers. > According to my potential mentor, it would provide Unicode libraries for > all frontends in GCC. If there are concerns or feedback about this, please > tell me about it. > Thank you. > > Link to my proposal: > > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MgsbJMF-p-ndgrX2iKeWDR5KPSWw9Z7onsHIiZ2pPKs/edit?usp=sharing > > Raiki Tamura >