Sorry for resending this email. I forgot using “Reply All”. Thank you for your response, Arsen and Jakub. I did not know C++ also supports Unicode identifiers. I looked a little into C++ and found C++ accepts the same form of identifiers as Rust. So I will do further investigation of libcpp with the hope that it can also be used in the Rust frontend. Raiki Tamura On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 0:18 Jakub Jelinek wrote: > On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 11:00:19AM +0000, Philip Herron via Gcc wrote: > > Excellent work on getting up to speed on the rust front-end. From my > > perspective I am interested to see what the wider GCC community thinks > > about using https://www.gnu.org/software/libunistring/ library within > GCC > > instead of rolling our own, this means it will be another dependency on > GCC. > > > > The other option is there is already code in the other front-ends to do > > this so in the worst case it should be possible to extract something out > of > > them and possibly make this a shared piece of functionality which we can > > mentor you through. > > I don't know what exactly Rust FE needs in this area, but e.g. libcpp > already handles whatever C/C++ need from Unicode support POV and can handle > it without any extra libraries. > So, if we could avoid the extra dependency, it would be certainly better, > unless you really need massive amounts of code from those libraries. > libcpp already e.g. provides mapping of unicode character names to code > points, determining which unicode characters can appear at the start or > in the middle of identifiers, etc. > > Jakub > >