public inbox for gcc-rust@gcc.gnu.org
From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>
To: David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>
Cc: Philip Herron <philip.herron@embecosm.com>,
	gcc-rust@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Rust front-end
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 15:04:04 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 08:42:58AM -0400, David Malcolm via Gcc wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-10-04 at 13:29 +0100, Philip Herron wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > As the cut-off for merging is coming up in November, quite a few of
> > our patches have not been reviewed yet.
> >
> > There are a few main issues that have been raised so far, and we are
> > fixing those at the moment in preparation for version 3 of the
> > patches. Is there anything else we can do to make reviewing the rest
> > of the patches easier?
>
> Do you have a list of which patches need reviewing?
> e.g. perhaps a page showing:
> - which patches are waiting for a reviewer, as opposed to
> - which patches are already approved
> - which patches have issues identified in review
>   - ...where no-one is yet working on addressing them
>   - ...where someone is working on addressing them
> etc
>
> to make it clearer what the next action is for each patch, and who is
> meant to be taking it.
>
> (within Red Hat, we used to call this "who has the ball?")

Yeah, our policy in https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html states that
"Pinging patches, Getting patches applied

If you do not receive a response to a patch that you have submitted within
two weeks or so, it may be a good idea to chase it by sending a follow-up
e-mail to the same list(s).  Patches can occasionally fall through the
cracks.  Please be sure to include a brief summary of the patch and the URL
of the entry in the mailing list archive of the original submission."

If some patches have been already reviewed, others partly, others in the
works and others need review, sending a mail with those details
so that it is easy to find out what is still pending is appreciated even
more.

	Jakub