public inbox for gcc-rust@gcc.gnu.org
* GCC GSoC 2023: Call for project ideas and mentors
@ 2023-01-10 18:25 Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-01-10 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

another year has passed and Google has announced there will be again
Google Summer of Code (GsoC) in 2023 and the deadline for organizations
to apply is already approaching (February 7th).  I'd like to volunteer
to be the main Org Admin for GCC again so let me know if you think I
shouldn't or that someone else should or if you want to do it instead,
but otherwise I'll assume that I will.

======================== The most important bit: ========================

I would like to ask all (moderately) seasoned GCC contributors to
consider mentoring a student this year and ideally also come up with a
project that they would like to lead.  I'm collecting proposal on our
wiki page https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode - feel free to add yours
to the top list there.  Or, if you are unsure, post your offer and
project idea as a reply here to the mailing list.

At this point, we need to collect list of project ideas.  Eventually,
each listed project idea should have:

  a) a project title,
  b) more detailed description of the project (2-5 sentences),
  c) expected outcomes (we do have a catch-almost-all formulation that
     outcome is generally patches at the bottom of the list in the
     wiki),
  d) skills required/preferred,
  e) project size (whether approximately 175 or 350 hours),
  f) difficulty (easy, hard or medium, but we don't really have easy
     projects), and
  g) expected mentors.

Project ideas that come without an offer to also mentor them are always
fun to discuss, by all means feel free to reply to this email with yours
and I will attempt to find a mentor, but please be aware that we can
only use the suggestion it if we actually find one or ideally two.

Everybody in the GCC community is invited to go over
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode and remove any outdated or
otherwise bad project suggestions and help improve viable ones.

Finally, please continue helping (prospective) students figure stuff out
about GCC like you have always done in the past.

As far as I know, GSoC 2023 should be quite similar to the last year,
the most important parameters probably are these:

  - Contributors (formerly students) must either be students or be
    "beginners to open source" (or both).

  - There are two project sizes, roughly 175 hours (medium-sized) and
    roughly 350 hours (large) in total.

  - Timing should be pretty much as flexible as last year.  Two years
    ago it was 12 weeks for everyone but now projects can take anywhere
    between 10 and 22 weeks.  (But I'd prefer if we tried to fit into 20
    at maximum, even that means deadlines would get close to stage 1
    end.)  There will be one mid-term and one final evaluation.

For further details you can see:

  - The announcement of GSoC 2023:
    https://opensource.googleblog.com/2022/11/get-ready-for-google-summer-of-code-2023.html

  - GSoC rules:
    https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/rules

  - The detailed GSoC 2023 timeline:
    https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

  - Elaborate project idea guidelines:
    https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list

Thank you for your participation and help.  Let's hope we attract some
great contributors again this year.

Martin

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-01-10 18:25 UTC | newest]