* Re: long long, C++ testsuite and -ansi -pedantic-errors
@ 2000-06-12 18:31 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-06-12 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdr; +Cc: gcc, hjl

> To: Mike Stump <mrs@windriver.com>
> From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@codesourcery.com>
> Date: 13 Jun 2000 03:06:39 +0200

> Even in 5 years, I'm not sure C++ will incorporate long long; and I
> can wait too :-)

I am.  No need to wait though.

> I think -ansi -pedantic should check for the language rules as
> currently defined.

Gosh, I'm so used to developing Standards and tracking Standards in
progress that I'd disagree.  I don't see a good reason to not track
Standards, when we are reasonably sure we know the direction they are
going in.  (No user burn.)

People that want older Standards, can always ask for them, if you want
to support that.

> Or we have to rename these options (or change their documentations).

I don't see the opinions or their documentation as wrong.  -fstd=
allows the ultimate in control, for those that need/want it.  I don't
see much benefit in having -ansi hang back.

* Re: long long, C++ testsuite and -ansi -pedantic-errors
@ 2000-06-17  9:37 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2000-06-17  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: espie; +Cc: gcc

    If it's not part of the current standard, and if there is a controversy,
    even amongst the committee members, about whether it will be part of
    the next standard or not, then -ansi -pedantic should warn.

Even if there *isn't* a controversy, we should be implementing the language
as it's *currently* defined, not as we might guess it will be defined in
the future.  I accept that there are some very rare cases when it makes sense
to implement speculatively in cases where it's *very* clear things are about
to be changed, but I don'tsee this as being in that category.

* Re: long long, C++ testsuite and -ansi -pedantic-errors
@ 2000-06-12 20:36 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-06-12 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: espie; +Cc: gcc

> Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:54 +0200
> From: Marc Espie <espie@quatramaran.ens.fr>

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 06:57:34PM -0700, Mike Stump wrote:
> > > After all, he's part of the committee.

> > Ditto.

> > > I know that the C++ committee had some harsh words about C99, I
> > > don't quite remember the details, but C99 did break a few
> > > compatibilities routes for C++.

> > Was he in the room when we last talked about long long support in C++?
> > I was.

> It might be that you are on opposing branches off the committee.  I
> don't think gcc/g++ should be a battling ground for the committee.
> If it's not part of the current standard, and if there is a
> controversy, even amongst the committee members, about whether it
> will be part of the next standard or not, then -ansi -pedantic
> should warn.

And if there is no controversy, or if the only controversy comes from
ignorance?

* Re: long long, C++ testsuite and -ansi -pedantic-errors
@ 2000-06-12 18:57 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-06-12 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: espie; +Cc: gcc

> Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 03:39:01 +0200
> From: Marc Espie <espie@quatramaran.ens.fr>
> To: mrs@windriver.com

> I believe that Gaby is quite used to tracking the C++ standard.

More so than I?

> If he believes that C++ might not have `long long' after the next
> revision, he might have good reason to do so.

More so than I?  I've been a member of ANSI C++ since 1992.  I doubt it.

@ 2000-06-12 17:58 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-06-12 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdr; +Cc: gcc, hjl

> To: Mike Stump <mrs@windriver.com>
> From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@codesourcery.com>
> Date: 13 Jun 2000 02:42:48 +0200

> Unless I'm mistaken, ISO C++ doesn't follow ISO C on the long long
> road.

Yes, you're mistake.  What you assume is `now' or `currently'.  I
don't.  In my opinion, there isn't a good reason to take your
approach.  It is only not in currently because the 5 year clock hasn't
expired on revving the C++ Standard, when it does, then you'll see I
was right.  I can wait.

* Re: long long, C++ testsuite and -ansi -pedantic-errors
@ 2000-06-12 15:53 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-06-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, hjl

> Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:23:54 -0700
> From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com>
> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org

> With my libstdc++ v3 "make check" patch, I got some many failures
> like

> In file included from /work/gnu/src/gcc-3.0/egcs/libstdc++-v3/bits/std_iostream.h:38,^M
>                  from
> 		 /work/gnu/src/gcc-3.0/egcs/libstdc++-v3/backward/iostream.h:32,^M
>                   from /work/gnu/src/gcc-3.0/egcs/gcc/testsuite/g++.old-deja/g++.brendan/copy9.C:2:^M
> /work/gnu/src/gcc-3.0/egcs/libstdc++-v3/bits/std_ostream.h:128: ISO C++ does not support `long long'^M

> It is caused by -ansi -pedantic-errors and long long. What should we
> do about it?

Remove it (the pedwarn call).  ISO C has added them.  ISO C++ follows
ISO C, unless there is a very specific and very good reason not to.
In this case, there is no such reason, therefore, we know that there
is no reason to have this message anymore.  If someone wants to retain
it under an older language standard, that is fine, but it should be
harder to get at (not with the flags you gave).

* long long, C++ testsuite and -ansi -pedantic-errors
@ 2000-06-12 10:23 H . J . Lu
From: H . J . Lu @ 2000-06-12 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

--