* Libiberty
@ 2006-06-02  2:16 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2006-06-02  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

    I haven't found anything in the docs that I see that explains the
libiberty library. Can this be compiled without having to compile a whole
new compiler? I am running 3.4.6 and what to cross compile for a pdp-11. I
just want to compile the extra support and that's all.

Bill

* Re: Libiberty
@ 2006-06-02  2:22 ` DJ Delorie
       [not found]   ` <000701c685ec$0774a9a0$2f01a8c0@myhome.westell.com>
From: DJ Delorie @ 2006-06-02  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: billcu1; +Cc: gcc

>     I haven't found anything in the docs that I see that explains
> the libiberty library.

You didn't find the libiberty documentation?  It's separate from the
gcc documentation, but available on the gcc docs web page.

> Can this be compiled without having to compile a whole new compiler?

Er, yes, since that's what we do each time we build it for the build
and host machines.  Only the target libiberty is built with the
just-built compiler.

> I am running 3.4.6 and what to cross compile for a pdp-11. I just
> want to compile the extra support and that's all.

Extra support for what purpose?  Are you trying to use libiberty with
your own application?

* Re: Libiberty
       [not found]     ` <200606020231.k522VuI4001244@greed.delorie.com>
@ 2006-06-02  2:34       ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2006-06-02  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

From: Mike Stump @ 2006-05-03  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc

On May 2, 2006, at 6:08 AM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     Everytime I compile gcc I see that libiberty is being compiled.
> Is this
> a needed library and if not how can I switch it off? I'm using
> glibc-2.1 and
> I'd like to figure out compiling 2.3 and I've done it before so I
> just have
> to remember how. I want to cut down on all that compile time.

cd gcc && make doesn't rebuild libiberty.  I use that to avoid
recompiles.

* RE: libiberty
@ 2006-05-02 14:06 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-02 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bill Cunningham', gcc

On 02 May 2006 14:09, Bill Cunningham wrote:

>     Everytime I compile gcc I see that libiberty is being compiled. Is this
> a needed library

  Yes.  Gcc uses the support functions it provides.  It's compiled and
statically linked in to the new gcc.

>  I'm using glibc-2.1 and
> I'd like to figure out compiling 2.3 and I've done it before so I just have
> to remember how.

  You've lost me there.  I thought you said you were compiling gcc?  Or do you
mean you're doing it as part of a combined-tree-build?

  In any case, libiberty is vital.  And small and quick to build.  'fraid I
don't have much useful advice on how to cut down your build times except maybe
to use a --disable-checking compiler.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* libiberty
@ 2006-05-02 13:09 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2006-05-02 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 1998-12-03 21:18   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-03 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex.buell; +Cc: Linux Egcs

  In message < Pine.LNX.4.05.9812021936100.5310-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk >you
write:
  > Following up on someone's posting about libiberty, this question has been
  > bugging me for a while. Why does so many software (i.e egcs, gcc,
  > binutils, gdb) comes with their own libiberty sources?
Because each package has its own release schedule.

jeff

* libiberty
@ 1998-12-02 16:57 ` Alex Buell
From: Alex Buell @ 1998-12-02 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Egcs

Following up on someone's posting about libiberty, this question has been
bugging me for a while. Why does so many software (i.e egcs, gcc,
binutils, gdb) comes with their own libiberty sources?

Cheers,
Alex
--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.130 #64 SMP Thu Nov 26 22:58:37 EST 1998
Two Intel Pentium Pro 166MHz processors, 331.78 total bogomips, 48M RAM
System library 2.0.104