* Re: Data member with same name as enclosing class
@ 1999-01-21  9:14 Klaus Kaempf
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Klaus Kaempf @ 1999-01-21  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Urlichs, Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: Martin v. Loewis, egcs

>>> [...]

>It should be noted that code inside `extern "C"' *must* be valid
>C++. `extern "C"' does not mean "hey, this is C not C++". `extern "C"'
>has to do with linkage. Period.

Allright, then the Linux include file is wrong !
Who's to blame ?!

* Re: Data member with same name as enclosing class
@ 1999-01-21 10:56 ` Andi Kleen
       [not found] ` <m3d848bgl5.fsf.cygnus.egcs@fred.muc.de>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andi Kleen @ 1999-01-21 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Kaempf; +Cc: egcs

In article < 001f01be4569$d35813c0$1204a8c0@klausk.ditech.de >,
Klaus.Kaempf@DITECH.DE (Klaus Kaempf) writes:

>> It should be noted that code inside `extern "C"' *must* be valid
>> C++. `extern "C"' does not mean "hey, this is C not C++". `extern "C"'
>> has to do with linkage. Period.

> Allright, then the Linux include file is wrong !
> Who's to blame ?!

Noone. Noone ever claimed that Linux include files are valid C++.

-Andi

@ 1999-01-21 12:32   ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 1999-01-21 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen, egcs

 >>> It should be noted that code inside `extern "C"' *must* be valid
 >>> C++. `extern "C"' does not mean "hey, this is C not C++". `extern "C"'
 >>> has to do with linkage. Period.

 >> Allright, then the Linux include file is wrong !
 >> Who's to blame ?!

Nobody.  The include file was written before C++ became popular, and long
before this construction was made invalid (at the May 1996 meeting).
netinet/in.h dates back at least to 1989, and probably well before.
I brought this issue up to the C++ committee a few weeks ago, and nobody
had a coherent suggestion as to what to do; I decided to just accept this
code within extern "C".

Jason

@ 1999-01-21 15:08 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-01-21 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus.Kaempf; +Cc: smurf, Gabriel.Dos-Reis, egcs

> Allright, then the Linux include file is wrong !
> Who's to blame ?!

I think glibc. If this is really mandated by some standard, it should
be #ifdefed with the relevant feature.

Regards,
Martin

* Re: Data member with same name as enclosing class
@ 1999-01-31 23:58   ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus.Kaempf; +Cc: smurf, Gabriel.Dos-Reis, egcs

@ 1999-01-31 23:58   ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Kaempf; +Cc: egcs

>> It should be noted that code inside `extern "C"' *must* be valid
>> C++. `extern "C"' does not mean "hey, this is C not C++". `extern "C"'
>> has to do with linkage. Period.

> Allright, then the Linux include file is wrong !
> Who's to blame ?!

Noone. Noone ever claimed that Linux include files are valid C++.

-Andi

* Re: Data member with same name as enclosing class
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 ` Klaus Kaempf
From: Klaus Kaempf @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Urlichs, Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: Martin v. Loewis, egcs

@ 1999-01-31 23:58     ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen, egcs

@ 1999-01-31 23:58     ` Matthias Urlichs
From: Matthias Urlichs @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin v. Loewis; +Cc: Klaus.Kaempf, egcs

Hi,

Martin v. Loewis:
> > extern "C" {
> > struct ip_opts
> >   {
> >     struct in_addr ip_dst;
> >     char ip_opts[40];
> >   }
> > } /* extern "C"  */
> >
> [...]
> > Question is: Should this error message be suppressed for 'extern
> > "C"' structs or should the include file be changed ?
>
> This is invalid C++, so it should be rejected.

Hmm. It would be cool (even though The Standard probably prohibits it...)
if g++ would automagically turn off all C++ features inside 'extern "C"',
not just the name mangling...

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/

* Data member with same name as enclosing class
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Klaus Kaempf
       [not found] ` <199901202031.VAA00823.cygnus.egcs@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Klaus Kaempf @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

When compiling Mozilla with egcs-2.93.02 (cvs snapshot from yesterday) I
stumbled across the
following error on RedHat linux 5.1

A c++ file includes "/usr/include/netinet/in.h" with has

extern "C" {
struct ip_opts
  {
    struct in_addr ip_dst;
    char ip_opts[40];
} /* extern "C"  */

The c++ compiler stops with "Ansi C++ forbids data member with same name as
enclosing class".

From: Jason Merrill @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin v. Loewis; +Cc: egcs

 >> Pedantically, yes.  The problem is that this occurs in a header that has
 >> been around for a long time, so we have to deal with it somehow.

 > Is this really the case? I tried finding that structure on Solaris,
 > and couldn't. Also, the documentation indicates that you are supposed
 > to fill the bytes of the structure yourself, rather than relying on
 > a structure being defined.

The same construct occurs in the AIX header, which appears to come from
BSD.

 > Even if this really turns out to be mandated by some obscure API, I
 > still think that pedantically, we'd have to reject it. In turn, you
 > cannot compile an application that uses <netinet/something> with
 > -pedantic. What a pity.

In theory.  I'm not too worried about diverging on this particular point.

Jason

* Re: Data member with same name as enclosing class
@ 1999-01-31 23:58       ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Urlichs; +Cc: Martin v. Loewis, Klaus.Kaempf, egcs

> Hi,
> Martin v. Loewis:
>> > extern "C" {
>> > struct ip_opts
>> >   {
>> >     struct in_addr ip_dst;
>> >     char ip_opts[40];
>> >   }
>> > } /* extern "C"  */
>> >
>> [...]
>> > Question is: Should this error message be suppressed for 'extern
>> > "C"' structs or should the include file be changed ?
>>
>> This is invalid C++, so it should be rejected.
>>
> Hmm. It would be cool (even though The Standard probably prohibits it...)
> if g++ would automagically turn off all C++ features inside 'extern "C"',
> not just the name mangling...

It should be noted that code inside `extern "C"' *must* be valid
C++. `extern "C"' does not mean "hey, this is C not C++". `extern "C"'
has to do with linkage. Period.

-- Gaby

From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jason; +Cc: egcs