* 3.3 configure grep usage?
@ 2003-04-08  9:41 Kean Johnston
From: Kean Johnston @ 2003-04-08  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I am finally trying to get gcc 3.3 to work on OpenServer.
I ran into my first teeny problem. configure, while trying
to check "linker read-only and read-write section mixing"
uses an option "-A1" to grep. At least our grep doesn't
grok that option. What's it do? Can the test be written
another way?

Another configure oddity is it checks to see what linker
to use, finds (in my case) /usr/ccs/bin/ld, and then
in the aforementioned tst, uses option -shared. That's
almost certainly not portable. Should there be a test for
linker flags to use, possibly to see if the linker is
really the compiler .. AND the compiler is gcc, to then
use -shared, else to test for something like -G, especially
if the path found is in /usr/ccs/*, which is an SVR4-ism
on Solaris, UnixWare and OpenServer (possibly others)
and almost certainly *not* the GNU linker an almost
certainly *does* use -G for shared libraries?

One final thing ... any one have any ojections if I
submit a patch that checks the directory "/usr/ccs/bin/elf"
before checking /usr/ccs/bin ... on OSR5 that will catch
the ELF tools, as opposed to the wrappers that need "-belf"
or "-bcoff" to distinguish between the two flavours those
tools support? This shouldn't affect any other hosts, I
don't think.

Kean

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-04-08  7:13 UTC | newest]