* in_avail() bug not fixed in 3.0.3
@ 2001-12-14  8:05 David Rasmussen
From: David Rasmussen @ 2001-12-14  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

The in_avail() bug described in GNATS PR# 3647, has not been fixed. The PR
was closed, and marked "fixed", but I have just downloaded the pre-release
gcc-3.0.3-20011213, mentioned by Mark Mitchell. I have built it on cygwin,
successfully, and tried to compile the code from the PR:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
        cout << cin.rdbuf()->in_avail() << endl;
}

This call should immediately return 0, but it hangs, until enter is pressed,
and then returns 1, which is then written.

How come the bug was marked fixed, when it isn't fixed?

/David

* Re: in_avail() bug not fixed in 3.0.3
@ 2001-12-14 10:26 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-12-14 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rasmussen; +Cc: gcc

On Dec 14, 2001, "David Rasmussen" <pinkfloydhomer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How come the bug was marked fixed, when it isn't fixed?

It may well have only been fixed in mainline, in case the fix was too
involved for a minor release such as 3.0.3.  For example, it might
require breaking binary compatibility with 3.0.x, which is a major NO
for 3.0.3.

* Re: in_avail() bug not fixed in 3.0.3
@ 2001-12-14 11:32   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2001-12-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: David Rasmussen, gcc

Alexandre Oliva writes:
> It may well have only been fixed in mainline, in case the fix was too
> involved for a minor release such as 3.0.3.  For example, it might
> require breaking binary compatibility with 3.0.x, which is a major NO
> for 3.0.3.

I'm sure that this is the case, but it does point out a problem: we
don't have a way of querying GNATS to find which bugs fall in this
category (fixed for 3.1 but not for 3.0.x).  For a given bug, one can
read the audit trail, but even then it might not be clear; I'm not
sure we're being consistent about updating GNATS when a bug fix is
back-ported, for example.

* Re: in_avail() bug not fixed in 3.0.3
@ 2001-12-14 11:45     ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2001-12-14 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Alexandre Oliva, David Rasmussen, gcc

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 11:27:06AM -0800, Joe Buck wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2001, "David Rasmussen" <pinkfloydhomer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > How come the bug was marked fixed, when it isn't fixed?
>
> Alexandre Oliva writes:
> > It may well have only been fixed in mainline, in case the fix was too
> > involved for a minor release such as 3.0.3.  For example, it might
> > require breaking binary compatibility with 3.0.x, which is a major NO
> > for 3.0.3.
>
> I'm sure that this is the case,

I'm almost certain that it was.

> but it does point out a problem: we
> don't have a way of querying GNATS to find which bugs fall in this
> category (fixed for 3.1 but not for 3.0.x).

This is YARTTOG[*].  I haven't seen any other bug-tracking system
which offers this specific behavior ("fixed in release X byt not in Y" yet.
Bugzilla has a field for "fix this bug by release X".  I don't think the
Debian BTS has any such field either.

Phil

[*] Yet Another Reason To Throw Out GNATS

* Re: in_avail() bug not fixed in 3.0.3
@ 2001-12-14 12:05         ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-12-14 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Phil Edwards, Alexandre Oliva, David Rasmussen, gcc

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Joe Buck wrote:

> Phil Edwards writes:
> > This is YARTTOG[*].  I haven't seen any other bug-tracking system
> > which offers this specific behavior ("fixed in release X byt not in Y" yet.
> > Bugzilla has a field for "fix this bug by release X".  I don't think the
> > Debian BTS has any such field either.
>
> Our internal SQL-based bug database lets you do it, indirectly.  The
> bug state can only be OPENED, ASSIGNED, FIXED etc like GNATS, but there's
> also a field for the release containing the fix.  Given something like
> this, it's not difficult to write an SQL query that shows all outstanding
> bugs on the 3.0 branch, as you would also include bugs marked FIXED
> if the fix release were set to 3.1.  This would require, though, that
> the bug database be updated when a fix is back-ported.

A large proportion of bugs could be automatically verified, given machines
running the most common systems used for GCC with various GCC versions
installed.  With any new system, perhaps we should try to arrange for
gccbug to support creating a bug report from which a testcase can be
automatically extracted (and support adding such test procedures to a bug
report afterwards), so information about affected versions could be
derived automatically.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk