* Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
@ 1999-12-21 21:15 Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 1999-12-21 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libstdc++, egcs, info-gnu

1999-12-21

Release Notes
-------------
The Standard C++ Library v3, or libstc++-2.90.x, is an ongoing
project to implement the ISO 14882 Standard C++ library as described
in chapters 17 through 27 and annex D, as a drop-in replacement
for the current (ARM-conformant) library.

This is the eigth snapshot of the libstdc++ rewrite.  It is still
incomplet and incorrekt.

The Standard C++ Library v3, or libstc++-2.90.x, follows an open
development model, attempting to be fully buzzword, bazaar, and GNU
compliant. Full details on participating, including contributor
guidelines, mailing list subscription, mailing list archives,
up-to-date documentation, and various and sundry other details can be
found at the following URL:

  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/

New:
---
- Now compiling with -Wall -Werror -Winline works, and is on by default.
- Conditional compilation for hosts that don't support wchar_t.
- Attempts have been made to get this to compile hosted on cygwin.
  Mumit Khan has done bunches here.
- Chapter 22:
  Kevin Ediger did some killer formatting work for the floating point parts of
  num_put::do_put.
- Chapter 26:
  valarray fixes:
    the non-standard member function
    'valarray<T>::product()' is removed for Standard compliance purpose.
    Some missing non member functions (e.g. tanh) are added.
    valarray::sum() now uses operator+= instead of operator+.
    valarray::min() and valarray::max() no longer causes parse errors.
    Typographical errors that used to cause a seg fault are corrected.
  complex fixes:  some missing constructors are added.
  Optimized calling of cmath funcs for targets that support builtin functions.
  mknumeric_limits was robustified.
- Chapter 27:
  Preliminary inlining for all buffering and iostream classes and manipulators.
  Testing for istream and ostream operators complete.
  istream validation testing complete.
  ostream formatting validations mostly complete.
  ostream<<operator(float, double, etc.) now work.
  Testing for correct stream state and thrown exceptions complete.
  A lot of stringbuf changes.
  Attempts to make includes take as little time as possible.
  streambuf to streambuf copies now work.
  A brain-dead and in-elegant (but conformant) facet caching mechanism
  replaces the elegant but non-conformant design.
  iostream callbacks now work correctly.
  A lot of the library working group issues are now implemented.
- Additional documentation by Phil Edwards.
- New website and mailing list interface.
- For CVS egcs, -O2 and tree-level inlining works.
- Many, many bug fixes.

More info is available on the project website, URL as above.

-Benjamin

* Re: Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
@ 1999-12-22  7:38 ` Matthew Brown
From: Matthew Brown @ 1999-12-22  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik, libstdc++, egcs, info-gnu

I just attempted a compile and installation. All goes well (using Mumit's
cygwin limits) until the installation. The makefile seems to desire a file
in the 'bits' source directory by the name 'ctype_base.h'. This file seems
to be somewhat platform-specific and appears, at first look, to be copied
from the 'config' directory during configuration time; however, this is not
happening for me. Here is my configuration:

- Cygwin b20.1
- configure run with '--prefix=<cygwin
dir> --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-namespaces'

For now, I will copy the default version of the file and see if things work.
I know that this is perilously close to the holidays, but if anyone is still
watching who has some input, please pass it on.

Thanks,

-- Matthew Brown

> The Standard C++ Library v3, or libstc++-2.90.x, is an ongoing
> project to implement the ISO 14882 Standard C++ library as described
> in chapters 17 through 27 and annex D, as a drop-in replacement
> for the current (ARM-conformant) library.
>
> This is the eigth snapshot of the libstdc++ rewrite.  It is still
> incomplet and incorrekt.
>
> The Standard C++ Library v3, or libstc++-2.90.x, follows an open
> development model, attempting to be fully buzzword, bazaar, and GNU
> compliant. Full details on participating, including contributor
> guidelines, mailing list subscription, mailing list archives,
> up-to-date documentation, and various and sundry other details can be
> found at the following URL:
>
>   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/
>

> New:
> ---
> - Now compiling with -Wall -Werror -Winline works, and is on by default.
> - Conditional compilation for hosts that don't support wchar_t.
> - Attempts have been made to get this to compile hosted on cygwin.
>   Mumit Khan has done bunches here.
> - Chapter 22:
>   Kevin Ediger did some killer formatting work for the floating point
parts of
>   num_put::do_put.
> - Chapter 26:
>   valarray fixes:
>     the non-standard member function
>     'valarray<T>::product()' is removed for Standard compliance purpose.
>     Some missing non member functions (e.g. tanh) are added.
>     valarray::sum() now uses operator+= instead of operator+.
>     valarray::min() and valarray::max() no longer causes parse errors.
>     Typographical errors that used to cause a seg fault are corrected.
>   complex fixes:  some missing constructors are added.
>   Optimized calling of cmath funcs for targets that support builtin
functions.
>   mknumeric_limits was robustified.
> - Chapter 27:
>   Preliminary inlining for all buffering and iostream classes and
manipulators.
>   Testing for istream and ostream operators complete.
>   istream validation testing complete.
>   ostream formatting validations mostly complete.
>   ostream<<operator(float, double, etc.) now work.
>   Testing for correct stream state and thrown exceptions complete.
>   A lot of stringbuf changes.
>   Attempts to make includes take as little time as possible.
>   streambuf to streambuf copies now work.
>   A brain-dead and in-elegant (but conformant) facet caching mechanism
>   replaces the elegant but non-conformant design.
>   iostream callbacks now work correctly.
>   A lot of the library working group issues are now implemented.
> - Additional documentation by Phil Edwards.
> - New website and mailing list interface.
> - For CVS egcs, -O2 and tree-level inlining works.
> - Many, many bug fixes.
>
> More info is available on the project website, URL as above.
>
> -Benjamin

* Re: Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
@ 1999-12-22 11:15   ` Mumit Khan
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-12-22 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Brown; +Cc: libstdc++, egcs

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Matthew Brown wrote:

> I just attempted a compile and installation. All goes well (using Mumit's
> cygwin limits) until the installation. The makefile seems to desire a file
> in the 'bits' source directory by the name 'ctype_base.h'. This file seems
> to be somewhat platform-specific and appears, at first look, to be copied
> from the 'config' directory during configuration time; however, this is not
> happening for me. Here is my configuration:
>
> - Cygwin b20.1
> - configure run with '--prefix=<cygwin
> dir> --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-namespaces'

Don't know what the problem is, but I could cross-build on Linux just
fine. BTW, if you use --enable-namespaces, you'll also have to rebuild
libgcc with -fhonor-std, but I assume you know that.

You can pick up prebuilt Cygwin and Mingw 2.90.7 at:
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/libstdc++-v3.html

The package contains a rebuilt libgcc.a as well.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
@ 1999-12-22 11:55     ` Matthew Brown
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Brown @ 1999-12-22 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: libstdc++, egcs

Just guessing here but there is a srcdir/config/bits/linux whereas there is
no srcdir/config/bits/cygwin. I took the ctypes_base.h from
srcdir/config/bits/default. I don't know if this will work because I have
not finished my porting project yet -- so far it compiles, but I don't know
about linking or running.

Thanks. I'm out of here 'till next week.

-- Matthew Brown

> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Matthew Brown wrote:
>
> > I just attempted a compile and installation. All goes well (using
Mumit's
> > cygwin limits) until the installation. The makefile seems to desire a
file
> > in the 'bits' source directory by the name 'ctype_base.h'. This file
seems
> > to be somewhat platform-specific and appears, at first look, to be
copied
> > from the 'config' directory during configuration time; however, this is
not
> > happening for me. Here is my configuration:
> >
> > - Cygwin b20.1
> > - configure run with '--prefix=<cygwin
> > dir> --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-namespaces'
>
> Don't know what the problem is, but I could cross-build on Linux just
> fine. BTW, if you use --enable-namespaces, you'll also have to rebuild
> libgcc with -fhonor-std, but I assume you know that.
>
> You can pick up prebuilt Cygwin and Mingw 2.90.7 at:
> http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/libstdc++-v3.html
>
> The package contains a rebuilt libgcc.a as well.
>
> Regards,
> Mumit

* Re: Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
@ 1999-12-22 22:53     ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 1999-12-22 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: Matthew Brown, libstdc++, egcs

> > - Cygwin b20.1
> > - configure run with '--prefix=<cygwin
> > dir> --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-namespaces'
>
> Don't know what the problem is, but I could cross-build on Linux just
> fine. BTW, if you use --enable-namespaces, you'll also have to rebuild
> libgcc with -fhonor-std, but I assume you know that.

how about those --enable flags!!!!!!!! I'm psyched. Kudos to phil.

> You can pick up prebuilt Cygwin and Mingw 2.90.7 at:
> http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/libstdc++-v3.html

can we add this to the downloads page please? Does this mean that the
signal handling in cygwin can actually run mknumeric_limits now? Or is
that still in an odd state?

-benjamin

* Re[2]: Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
@ 1999-12-23  3:05     ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 1999-12-23  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: libstdc++, egcs

Hello Mumit,

It  seems  that  there  are problems when building in source directory
instead  of making a new directory and running configure from where. I
had  the same problem as Matt under Linux; building in other directory
(and installing from there) worked without problems.

MK> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Matthew Brown wrote:

>> I just attempted a compile and installation. All goes well (using Mumit's
>> cygwin limits) until the installation. The makefile seems to desire a file
>> in the 'bits' source directory by the name 'ctype_base.h'. This file seems
>> to be somewhat platform-specific and appears, at first look, to be copied
>> from the 'config' directory during configuration time; however, this is not
>> happening for me. Here is my configuration:
>>
>> - Cygwin b20.1
>> - configure run with '--prefix=<cygwin
>> dir> --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-namespaces'

MK> Don't know what the problem is, but I could cross-build on Linux just
MK> fine. BTW, if you use --enable-namespaces, you'll also have to rebuild
MK> libgcc with -fhonor-std, but I assume you know that.

MK> You can pick up prebuilt Cygwin and Mingw 2.90.7 at:
MK> http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/libstdc++-v3.html

MK> The package contains a rebuilt libgcc.a as well.

MK> Regards,
MK> Mumit

Best regards,
 Roman                            mailto:roman@nstl.nnov.ru

* Re: Re[2]: Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
@ 1999-12-27  9:12       ` Matthew Brown
From: Matthew Brown @ 1999-12-27  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Belenov, Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: libstdc++, egcs

I *did* configure and build from a separate directory -- it's a habit with
me.
I have successfully built and installed on my Solaris box, but it, again,
required a tweak. This one was with <srcdir>/config/solaris/ctype.cc:
The gcc 2.95.1 compiler complains about '__trans_upper' and __trans_lower'
being 'int *' while the left side of the related assignments are 'long int
*'. Performing a C-style cast to 'long int *' in these four statements
allows the compile to succeed.

-- Matthew Brown

> It  seems  that  there  are problems when building in source directory
> instead  of making a new directory and running configure from where. I
> had  the same problem as Matt under Linux; building in other directory
> (and installing from there) worked without problems.
>
> MK> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Matthew Brown wrote:
>
> >> I just attempted a compile and installation. All goes well (using
Mumit's
> >> cygwin limits) until the installation. The makefile seems to desire a
file
> >> in the 'bits' source directory by the name 'ctype_base.h'. This file
seems
> >> to be somewhat platform-specific and appears, at first look, to be
copied
> >> from the 'config' directory during configuration time; however, this is
not
> >> happening for me. Here is my configuration:
> >>
> >> - Cygwin b20.1
> >> - configure run with '--prefix=<cygwin
> >> dir> --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-namespaces'
>
> MK> Don't know what the problem is, but I could cross-build on Linux just
> MK> fine. BTW, if you use --enable-namespaces, you'll also have to rebuild
> MK> libgcc with -fhonor-std, but I assume you know that.
>
> MK> You can pick up prebuilt Cygwin and Mingw 2.90.7 at:

http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/libstdc++-v3.html

> MK> The package contains a rebuilt libgcc.a as well.
>
> MK> Regards,
> MK> Mumit
>

> Best regards,
>  Roman                            mailto:roman@nstl.nnov.ru

* Re[4]: Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
@ 1999-12-27  9:37         ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 1999-12-27  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Brown; +Cc: libstdc++, egcs

Hello Matthew,

Another build attempt revealed that there are two different problems -
on  Linux  I succesfully built libstdc++ in separate directory and got
error  on  install stage when building in source dir; on NT system the
error appeared no matter where the build directory was.

--------------- skipped --------------------------

@ 1999-12-31 23:54         ` Matthew Brown

> It  seems  that  there  are problems when building in source directory
> instead  of making a new directory and running configure from where. I
> had  the same problem as Matt under Linux; building in other directory
> (and installing from there) worked without problems.
>
> MK> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Matthew Brown wrote:
>
> >> I just attempted a compile and installation. All goes well (using
Mumit's
> >> cygwin limits) until the installation. The makefile seems to desire a
file
> >> in the 'bits' source directory by the name 'ctype_base.h'. This file
seems
> >> to be somewhat platform-specific and appears, at first look, to be
copied
> >> from the 'config' directory during configuration time; however, this is
not
> >> happening for me. Here is my configuration:
> >>
> >> - Cygwin b20.1
> >> - configure run with '--prefix=<cygwin
> >> dir> --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-namespaces'
>
> MK> Don't know what the problem is, but I could cross-build on Linux just
> MK> fine. BTW, if you use --enable-namespaces, you'll also have to rebuild
> MK> libgcc with -fhonor-std, but I assume you know that.
>
> MK> You can pick up prebuilt Cygwin and Mingw 2.90.7 at:

http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/libstdc++-v3.html

> MK> The package contains a rebuilt libgcc.a as well.
>
> MK> Regards,
> MK> Mumit
>

> Best regards,
>  Roman                            mailto:roman@nstl.nnov.ru

* Re: Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-12-31 23:54     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Brown; +Cc: libstdc++, egcs

@ 1999-12-31 23:54           ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Brown; +Cc: libstdc++, egcs

@ 1999-12-31 23:54       ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: Matthew Brown, libstdc++, egcs

> [...]

manipulators.
>   Testing for istream and ostream operators complete.
>   istream validation testing complete.
>   ostream formatting validations mostly complete.
>   ostream<<operator(float, double, etc.) now work.
>   Testing for correct stream state and thrown exceptions complete.
>   A lot of stringbuf changes.
>   Attempts to make includes take as little time as possible.
>   streambuf to streambuf copies now work.
>   A brain-dead and in-elegant (but conformant) facet caching mechanism
>   replaces the elegant but non-conformant design.
>   iostream callbacks now work correctly.
>   A lot of the library working group issues are now implemented.
> - Additional documentation by Phil Edwards.
> - New website and mailing list interface.
> - For CVS egcs, -O2 and tree-level inlining works.
> - Many, many bug fixes.
>
> More info is available on the project website, URL as above.

* Re: Announcing libstdc++-2.90.7
@ 1999-12-31 23:54       ` Matthew Brown

From: Roman Belenov @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: libstdc++, egcs