Hi Jakub, On 12/12/22 17:09, Jakub Jelinek wrote: > On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 04:56:27PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote: >> "Names beginning with ‘str’, ‘mem’, or ‘wcs’ followed by a lowercase letter >> are reserved for additional string and array functions. See String and Array >> Utilities." > > It is not that simple. > mem*, str* and wcs* are just potentially reserved identifiers, they are only > reserved if the implementation provided them. To clarify: While ISO C up to C17 had them fully reserved, ISO C23 will make them potentially reserved identifiers. POSIX further fully reserves them again (maybe next POSIX aligns with C23 on that; I don't know). > And what we discuss here > is how to reliably find out if it was an implementation that provided them, > because in case of gcc the implementation is GCC and the C library and > perhaps some other libraries too. > gcc can be used with lots of different C libraries, and many don't implement > mempcpy. Well, if GCC can't know what the implementation provides, then we're in big trouble. Me, being just a user-space programmer, only know of _GNU_SOURCE for determining if the function is available at compile-time. :) Any of the POSIX or ISO C feature_test_macro(7)s prior to C23 should also be enough to tell the compiler that mem* identifiers are reserved, and therefore possibly provided by libc. mempcpy(3) Library Functions Manual mempcpy(3) NAME mempcpy, wmempcpy - copy memory area LIBRARY Standard C library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS #define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include void *mempcpy(void dest[restrict .n], const void src[restrict .n], size_t n); #define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include wchar_t *wmempcpy(wchar_t dest[restrict .n], const wchar_t src[restrict .n], size_t n); Cheers, Alex --