From: Bill Northcott <w.northcott@unsw.edu.au>
To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: Dale Johannesen <dalej@apple.com>,
	Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>
Subject: Re: Libobjc and libffi on Darwin
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 03:53:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Andre Pinski wrote

>>> Maybe you are looking in the wrong place?  ffi.h gets installed in a
>>> different place than ffitarget.h.
>>>
>>> If it really wasn't installed, then look at the Makefile in the
>>> $target/libffi/include directory.  There should be an install rule
>>> for the ffi.h file.  Works backwards from there to figure out why it
>>> wasn't called.
>>>

>> Thanks for the comments. I got it fixed by patching build-gcc thus
>
> So this is on the apple-ppc-branch which means you installed the
> Apple way using build_gcc which is different the FSF way.
> Which was not there in your description of the problem.

Sorry about that.  I apologise.

> Well since GNUStep uses libffi, I thought that compiling with objc
> would
> install libffi automatically.

Adding objc to the languages does not even build libffi.  Fudging the
targets in configure to make it build means it also installs with an
FSF build, but Apple use build_gcc to assemble the final distribution
and it does not copy ffi.h into its final location without a patch like
I suggested.

I will stick it on Apple's bug reporter as a suggestion.

Bill Northcott