* How do I create a GCC source code tarball?
@ 2022-10-03 23:31 Robert Dubner
From: Robert Dubner @ 2022-10-03 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I have modified the source code of GCC, and I need a tarball for that
modified source.

My code is based on the trunk branch of the repository at
git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git

I attempted to execute "make dist", and have encountered the response

      Building a full distribution of this tree isn't done
      via 'make dist'.  Check out the etc/ subdirectory

I have been unable to locate a subdirectory name "etc/".

With that as background, my question is:

How do I create a source code tarball for GCC?

Thanks very much for any help.

* Re: How do I create a GCC source code tarball?
@ 2022-10-04 19:03 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2022-10-04 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dubner; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 4:32 PM Robert Dubner <rdubner@symas.com> wrote:

> I have modified the source code of GCC, and I need a tarball for that
> modified source.
>
> My code is based on the trunk branch of the repository at
> git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
>
> I attempted to execute "make dist", and have encountered the response
>
>       Building a full distribution of this tree isn't done
>       via 'make dist'.  Check out the etc/ subdirectory
>
> I have been unable to locate a subdirectory name "etc/".
>
> With that as background, my question is:
>
> How do I create a source code tarball for GCC?

You just tar up the source.
You could use maintainer-scripts/gcc_release to make a snapshot but in
the end it just does `tar xcfj file.tar.bz2 gcc` .

Thanks,
Andrew

@ 2022-10-04 20:44   ` Robert Dubner
From: Robert Dubner @ 2022-10-04 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: gcc

I had a feeling that's what the answer was going to be, but, well, I figured
it couldn't hurt to ask.

Especially because I hadn't before noticed the maintainer-scripts
subdirectory.  That alone made asking worth it.

Thank you very much,

Bob Dubner

@ 2022-10-07 22:53   ` James K. Lowden
From: James K. Lowden @ 2022-10-07 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Andrew Pinski

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 12:03:12 -0700
Andrew Pinski via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> >       Building a full distribution of this tree isn't done
> >       via 'make dist'.  Check out the etc/ subdirectory
> You just tar up the source.
> You could use maintainer-scripts/gcc_release to make a snapshot but in
> the end it just does `tar xcfj file.tar.bz2 gcc` .

If I may, the error message would be improved by making it shorter:

>       Building a full distribution of this tree isn't done
>       via 'make dist'.

since that at least would be accurate!  But why not just make it work
again? Change the dist target in Makefile.in:

	dist:
		tar xcfj file.tar.bz2 gcc
or
	dist:
		$(srcdir)/maintainer-scripts/gcc_release $(RELEASE_OPTS)

where RELEASE_OPTS has some simple default.   The user wishing to know
more can inspect the script to determine what options to use.

I spent several hours looking for information on how to do this.  I
wasn't counting on a decade of misdirection.  It's not mentioned
anywhere that I could find in the source tree or the wiki.  I missed
maintainer-scripts among the 75 files because it wasn't in upper case,
where I expect to find developer information. If the process of
generating nightly tarballs is documented, I missed that, too.

I'm happy to open a PR or submit a patch.

--jkl

* Re: How do I create a GCC source code tarball?
@ 2022-10-10  6:36     ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2022-10-10  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James K. Lowden; +Cc: gcc

On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 12:54 AM James K. Lowden
<jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 12:03:12 -0700
> Andrew Pinski via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > >       Building a full distribution of this tree isn't done
> > >       via 'make dist'.  Check out the etc/ subdirectory
> > You just tar up the source.
> > You could use maintainer-scripts/gcc_release to make a snapshot but in
> > the end it just does `tar xcfj file.tar.bz2 gcc` .
>
> If I may, the error message would be improved by making it shorter:
>
> >       Building a full distribution of this tree isn't done
> >       via 'make dist'.
>
> since that at least would be accurate!  But why not just make it work
> again? Change the dist target in Makefile.in:

Note that etc/ is present in the src tree (from binutils/gdb), the complication
here is that the toplevel Makefile is shared between gcc and binutils/gdb
so we can't simply invoke something from maintainer-scripts which isn't
present on the binutils/gdb side ...

>         dist:
>                 tar xcfj file.tar.bz2 gcc
> or
>         dist:
>                 $(srcdir)/maintainer-scripts/gcc_release $(RELEASE_OPTS)
>
> where RELEASE_OPTS has some simple default.   The user wishing to know
> more can inspect the script to determine what options to use.
>
> I spent several hours looking for information on how to do this.  I
> wasn't counting on a decade of misdirection.  It's not mentioned
> anywhere that I could find in the source tree or the wiki.  I missed
> maintainer-scripts among the 75 files because it wasn't in upper case,
> where I expect to find developer information. If the process of
> generating nightly tarballs is documented, I missed that, too.

There is https://gcc.gnu.org/releasing.html and assorted pages where
such stuff is documented.  There's probably something similar on
the binutils/gdb side.

I guess the best thing we can do is improve the wording of the
'make dist' diagnostic plus eventually have parts of it documented
in sourcebuild.texi

Richard.