* When EOL? Replacing GCJ by IcedTea, GCC by LLVM.
@ 2007-06-16  3:12 J.C. Pizarro
From: J.C. Pizarro @ 2007-06-16  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

For performance and simplicity, i show this summary

1. "The LLVM Compiler System" by Chris Lattner
http://llvm.org/pubs/2007-03-12-BossaLLVMIntro.html
http://llvm.org/pubs/2007-03-12-BossaLLVMIntro.pdf

2. "LLVM in OpenGL and for Dynamic Languages" by Chris Lattner
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2007-05/10-Lattner-OpenGL.pdf
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2007-05/10-Lattner-OpenGL.mov
http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2007/05/mesa-and-llvm.html

3. "Vector LLVA: A Virtual Vector Instruction Set for Media Processing"
by Bocchino and Vikram
http://llvm.org/pubs/2006-06-15-VEE-VectorLLVA.html
http://llvm.org/pubs/2006-06-15-VEE-VectorLLVA.pdf

* Re: When EOL? Replacing GCJ by IcedTea, GCC by LLVM.
@ 2007-06-16  7:23 ` Chris Lattner
From: Chris Lattner @ 2007-06-16  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.C. Pizarro; +Cc: gcc

On Jun 15, 2007, at 8:08 PM, J.C. Pizarro wrote:

> For performance and simplicity, i show this summary

JC, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I don't think that this is the
right forum for discussions about LLVM vs GCC.  If you'd like to
discuss LLVM, please take it to an LLVM-related mailing list.

GCC has a long life ahead of it, and LLVM is certainly not going to
cause cessation of GCC development.  The two projects have very
different goals - even though people like to focus on areas where the
goals overlap, there are large areas where either project is far more
suitable than the other.

This is not the right forum for proselyting LLVM vs GCC.  That said,
anyone interested in LLVM is very welcome to contribute to it, just
please discuss it on an llvm list.

Thanks!

-Chris

* Re: When EOL? Replacing GCJ by IcedTea, GCC by LLVM.
@ 2007-06-16  3:00 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-06-16  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.C. Pizarro; +Cc: gcc

"J.C. Pizarro" <jcpiza@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. Stop developing new features to GCJ
> and start to develop the more advanced IcedTea (a.k.a. OpenJDK).
>
> http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki//Main_Page
>

> 2. Stop developing new features to GCC's backend
> and start to develop the more advanced LLVM-GCC.
>
> http://llvm.org/   (Low Level Virtual Machine)
> http://hlvm.org/   (High Level Virtual Machine)
>

> The GCJ compiler could be dead so soon possible.
> The GCC backend could be dead so soon possible.
>
> There will be dates for its EOLs (End-Of-Life s).

There have always been more advanced compilers than gcc.  Yet gcc
survives.  Why is that?

gcc will die someday.  But it is to early to predict when that will
happen.

Ian

* When EOL? Replacing GCJ by IcedTea, GCC by LLVM.
@ 2007-06-16  2:42 J.C. Pizarro