I have not contributed to GCC before, so I am not sure how to go about it. So, I am letting you know what I want to do, so that I can get advice on the best way to do it. I have read https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html, and I have Jim Lowden and I have been developing a COBOL front end for GCC. He's primarily been parsing the language. It's been my task to generate the GENERIC/GIMPLE trees for the parsed code. We've been working at this for a couple of years. We have reached the point where we want to start submitting patches for the community to evaluate. I figured I would start small, where "small" means mainly one new source code file of 1,580 lines.