Hi Dave, > On 26 Mar 2023, at 19:14, David Malcolm wrote: > > I has looked into compiling those files with the patch some time ago; > looking at my notes, one issue was with this on-stack buffer: > char extra[1024]; > declared outside the loop. Inside the loop, it gets modified in > various ways: > extra[0] = '\0'; > and > if (fread(extra, 1, extsize, fpZip) == extsize) { > where the latter means "extra" becomes tainted. > > However "extra" is barely used, and is effectively reset each time > through the loop - but the analyzer doesn't figure that out. So the > loop analysis explodes, as it tries to keep track of the possibility > that "extra" is still tainted from previous iteration(s), despite the > fact that it's going to be clobbered before it ever gets used. > > So one fix might be to extend the state-purging code so that it somehow > "sees" that "extra" gets clobbered before it gets used, and thus we can > purge the tainted state from it. Thanks for your notes. I think we may be talking about the same thing? If you look at the updated proposal (I have changed it quite a lot since I first sent it out), you’ll see there is one relevant paper for state merging (although it is slightly different from state purging, I think the goal and general methodology is similar): https://dslab.epfl.ch/pubs/stateMerging.pdf I was trying to say if some similar situation happened for other types of checkers, I expected state explosion would also happen. I tried to construct a similar example (with the same kind of reset and nested conditionals + a loop) but for double-free, so far no success yet. I’ll pick it up afterwards, at latest by next Saturday, because I need to prepare for a coming midterm on Friday. I will also put this test case to the proposal because it seems like a very good starting point for the project. Best, Shengyu