* Re: "register" specifiers of any value?
@ 2001-10-09  3:39 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-10-09  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rth; +Cc: gcc

    I've been whacking them irregularly as I modify
    code in their vicinity.

I've been doing likewise.

* Re: "register" specifiers of any value?
@ 2001-10-09 13:18 ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-10-09 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs, gcc

--On Monday, October 08, 2001 07:55:01 PM -0700 Stan Shebs
<shebs@apple.com> wrote:

> While studying dwarf2out.c, I note that many locals are specified
> as "register", most likely a pointless thing these days.  At best
> they might speed up a GCC built with somebody else's compiler, but
> that doesn't seem very valuable, and we could get rid of some
> clutter by whacking them.  Looks like there are several thousand,
> mostly concentrated in older files - can anybody come up with a
> reason for keeping them?

No.  Our policy is to never use `register' in new code, and there's
nothing wrong with removing it from old code.  Patches to do that
are preapproved.

* Re: "register" specifiers of any value?
@ 2001-10-08 21:08 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2001-10-08 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 07:55:01PM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:
> Looks like there are several thousand, mostly concentrated in
> older files - can anybody come up with a reason for keeping them?

I've been whacking them irregularly as I modify
code in their vicinity.

r~

* "register" specifiers of any value?
@ 2001-10-08 19:57 Stan Shebs