* Re: Upgrade from 2.9 to 3.x?
@ 2003-05-13  1:14 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2003-05-13  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coyote; +Cc: gcc

    I don't see the the need to confuse a novice with religious issues; he
    asked in terms of "Linux", and pedantic issues of "GNU/Linux" are non
    sequitor to his question.

The other side of that argument, of course, is that it's the novice that
could most use the education.

* Re: Upgrade from 2.9 to 3.x?
@ 2003-05-13  2:24         ` Scott Robert Ladd
From: Scott Robert Ladd @ 2003-05-13  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Kunal Sachdeva, gcc

Joe Buck wrote:
> I will suggest, though, that if someone refers to GNU compiler collection
> as "the Linux compiler", the GNU C library as "the Linux library", etc,
> someone might well (justifiably) correct this mistake.  Ideally this will
> happen in as diplomatic a way as possible.

I'm in complete agreement with you -- and have advised folk in the past
who misattribute GNU tools; for example, I corrected a colleague
(gently) who insisted upon calling GCC the "Cygwin" compiler.

In the end, GNU would gain more if it spent less time growling at those
who fail political correctness tests. Some of us might be useful allies,
if we felt welcome... :)

--
Scott Robert Ladd

* Re: Upgrade from 2.9 to 3.x?
@ 2003-05-13  0:39       ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2003-05-13  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Robert Ladd; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Kunal Sachdeva, gcc

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 07:32:36PM -0400, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> > Let's not get into debates about this here, but please note that the
> > FSF/the GNU project prefers the term GNU/Linux distribution, as any
> > such distribution is much more than just the kernel:
> >
> >   http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
>
> If you don't want a debate, don't bring it up. ;)
>
> I don't see the the need to confuse a novice with religious issues; he
> asked in terms of "Linux", and pedantic issues of "GNU/Linux" are non
> sequitor to his question.

Those of us on the SC agreed to use the term "GNU/Linux" and that's what
goes in documentation, but I do agree with Scott that there's no need to
badger people into being GNUically correct on every occasion.  We didn't
agree to force everyone to say "GNU/Linux" in every email message.

@ 2003-05-12 23:33     ` Scott Robert Ladd
From: Scott Robert Ladd @ 2003-05-12 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Kunal Sachdeva, gcc

@ 2003-05-12 18:10   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-05-12 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Robert Ladd; +Cc: Kunal Sachdeva, gcc

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> Some Linux distributions include both GCC 2.9x and GCC 3.x, giving one
> or the other a special name (say, gcc-3) or using symbolic links to set
> which compiler you're using.

Let's not get into debates about this here, but please note that the
FSF/the GNU project prefers the term GNU/Linux distribution, as any
such distribution is much more than just the kernel:

  http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

> The main gcc web site (http://gcc.gnu.org) has relatively clear
> documentation on configuring, compiling, and installing gcc from source.

Thanks. ;-)  Of course suggestions and improvements are always welcome.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: Upgrade from 2.9 to 3.x?
@ 2003-05-12 17:56 ` Scott Robert Ladd
From: Scott Robert Ladd @ 2003-05-12 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kunal Sachdeva; +Cc: gcc

Kunal Sachdeva wrote:
 > Can anyone suggest how can I upgrade it to 3.x keeping
 > in mind I have basic knowledge of Linux ?

If I understand you correctly, you currently have GCC 2.9x, and you want
to use GCC 3.3.

Much depends on your distribution of Linux. As far as I know, every
Linux dustribution installs a version of GCC, so you're probably using
whatever came from whoever (SuSE, Red Hat, Debian, etc.) packaged your
Linux. You may want to check with your Linux distributor; it's likely
that an update to your Linux installation will automatically upgrade
your GCC.

Some Linux distributions include both GCC 2.9x and GCC 3.x, giving one
or the other a special name (say, gcc-3) or using symbolic links to set
which compiler you're using.

If your Linux vendor does *not* have a newer version of GCC, you have
two choices:

1) Change Linux distributions (which may be the easiest solution for a
Linux novice)

2) Download the GCC source code, compile it, and install it yourself.

@ 2003-05-12 16:56     ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2003-05-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kunal Sachdeva; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 09:01, Kunal Sachdeva wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> WHat I mean is that I want to upgrade gcc from 2.96
> version to 3.x and not just to be able to compile C++
> code with the new version.

I'm not sure that this says what you think it does. How about a longer
description of what you want. In general what Michael said is correct
about migrating compilers.

-eric

--
Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>

* Re: Upgrade from 2.9 to 3.x?
@ 2003-05-12 16:03   ` Kunal Sachdeva
From: Kunal Sachdeva @ 2003-05-12 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi Michael,
WHat I mean is that I want to upgrade gcc from 2.96
version to 3.x and not just to be able to compile C++
code with the new version.

Kunal

http://search.yahoo.com

* Re: Upgrade from 2.9 to 3.x?
@ 2003-05-12 15:15 ` Michael Eager
From: Michael Eager @ 2003-05-12 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kunal Sachdeva; +Cc: gcc

Kunal Sachdeva wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am quite new to the software development under
> Linux. For my source code I am using GCC2.96 and since
> its not the latest and also not the stable versions, I
> would like to update it to 3.x. I have no idea how can
> I do that.

Most C code will not require any changes to compile with GCC-3.x.
C++ code may need to be modified.  Most common is to add
"using namespace std;" at the beginning of the source.

--
Michael Eager	 Eager Consulting     eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077

* Upgrade from 2.9 to 3.x?
@ 2003-05-12 13:47 Kunal Sachdeva
From: Kunal Sachdeva @ 2003-05-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello All,
I am quite new to the software development under
Linux. For my source code I am using GCC2.96 and since
its not the latest and also not the stable versions, I
would like to update it to 3.x. I have no idea how can
I do that.
Can anyone suggest how can I upgrade it to 3.x keeping
in mind I have basic knowledge of Linux ?
Waiting for the replies.
Thanks
Kunal

http://search.yahoo.com