From: kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner)
To: matz@suse.de
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: What to remove after tree-ssa is merged?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

    Probably I'm asking the wrong thing because I'm in turn unsure, where
    exactly P_E is used inside types.

Within the expressions for
	TYPE_MIN_VALUE
	TYPE_MAX_VALUE
	DECL_FIELD_OFFSET
	TYPE_SIZE
	TYPE_SIZE_UNIT

    The example you gave (as I understood it) happens to actually use the
    P_E only in the context of an expression (a COMPONENT_REF in fact),
    also if the P_E expression was only found by looking into the type of
    the bounded array.

Looking into a type, yes, but I'm not sure what you mean by "bounded array".

    So in that example the P_E is used in expressions, so they could be
    lowered to trees not containing P_E (this involves probably making
    some element references more explicit).

But you don't have the *object* to make it more explicit when it's inside
the type.  That's the whole point: it applies to every *object* of the type.

    To that question you then mentioned P_E inside types, but they should only
    matter for type comparing or in context of expressions AFAICS.

    the latter can be done with the above frontend specific lowering.

No, because it has to be done by the code that computes sizes and offsets
in the middle end.