* Re:  [RFC] Gimple and language independent
@ 2004-10-17  8:54 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-10-17  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pinskia; +Cc: gcc

    Really gimple should be language independent in the sense the types
    are defined by gimple and not the other way around (the only exception
    is structs and unions).  What do people think about this?

I think that structs and unions are among the most interesting cases, since
the question of which are compatible is so language-dependent, so I think
we can't exclude that case.

    I know there has been talk about this recently and how gimple is
    dependent on the type system of the source language which I think is
    wrong and we loose some optimizations because of it.

I don't see that.

* [RFC] Gimple and language independent
@ 2004-10-17  0:33 Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2004-10-17  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org' List

Really gimple should be language independent in the sense the types are
defined by gimple and not the other way around (the only exception is
structs and unions).  What do people think about this?
I know there has been talk about this recently and how gimple is
dependent
on the type system of the source language which I think is wrong and we
loose some optimizations because of it.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski