* Configure magic
@ 2003-01-18  3:37 Steven Bosscher
From: Steven Bosscher @ 2003-01-18  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnovillo; +Cc: gcc

Diego,

Since your merge, I cannot configure anymore without cheating:

---- 8< ----
checking for nm... nm
checking for i586-pc-linux-gnu-ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for i586-pc-linux-gnu-windres... no
checking for windres... windres
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
steven@steven:~/devel/gcc/build > make
cd ../gcc-ssa && autoconf
configure.in:2112: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_FOR_TARGET
make: *** [../gcc-ssa/configure] Error 1
# autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
Written by David J. MacKenzie.

Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001
Free Software Foundation, Inc.
---- 8< ----

I can trick it into thinking configure/Makefile.in is newer, but then
it complains about config.sub:

---- 8< ----
checking for as... as
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking for ld... ld
checking for nm... nm
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for windres... windres
configure: creating ./config.status
CONFIG_FILES=Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
Configuring in build-/libiberty
creating cache ../config.cache
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking for perl... perl
checking host system type... config.sub: missing argument
Try `config.sub --help' for more information.

checking build system type... config.sub: missing argument
Try `config.sub --help' for more information.

checking for -ar... ar
checking for -ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
---- 8< ----

Do I really need to get an *old* autoconf somewhere to make
a *new* gcc work?

Greetz
Steven

* Re: Configure magic
@ 2003-01-18  3:44 ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-01-18  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Bosscher; +Cc: dnovillo, gcc

Steven Bosscher <s.bosscher@student.tudelft.nl> writes:

> Diego,
>
> Since your merge, I cannot configure anymore without cheating:

> # autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
> Written by David J. MacKenzie.

> Do I really need to get an *old* autoconf somewhere to make
> a *new* gcc work?

Yes, you really do.  Only 2.13 will work.  People are trying to
rectify this, perhaps you could lend them a hand?

zw

* Re: Configure magic
@ 2003-01-18  7:51   ` Steven Bosscher
From: Steven Bosscher @ 2003-01-18  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: dnovillo, gcc

Op za 18-01-2003, om 00:18 schreef Zack Weinberg:
> Steven Bosscher <s.bosscher@student.tudelft.nl> writes:
>
> > Diego,
> >
> > Since your merge, I cannot configure anymore without cheating:

> > # autoconf --version
> > autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
> > Written by David J. MacKenzie.

> > Do I really need to get an *old* autoconf somewhere to make
> > a *new* gcc work?
>
> Yes, you really do.  Only 2.13 will work.  People are trying to
> rectify this, perhaps you could lend them a hand?

If I knew more about autoconf...  If there's anything I can help with, I
certainly would.  The sooner GCC uses a more recent autoconf, the
better.

Old autoconfs are a problem for the G95 project.  For g95 we're using a
patched autoconf 2.5x because unpatched autoconf think that f90 files
can be compiled with g77, which is kind of inconvenient if you're trying
to develop a Fortran 95 compiler :-)

Greetz
Steven