* GCC 3.3: Second prerelease available
@ 2003-05-09 16:33 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2003-05-09 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc-announce

The second GCC 3.3 prerelease is now available.

It is anticipated that these bits will become the final GCC 3.3 release
shortly.

Several problems found in the second prerelease have been fixed in this
prerelease, including a problem with exception-handling on S390, a
code-generation problem on SH processors, and a problem that prevented
building the Java library on some Solaris systems.

If you find problems in this prerelease, please do not send them
directly to me.  Instead, put them in GNATS

  http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl

and list me on the "CC" line in the GNATS entry.

The prerelease itself is available at:

  ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots

in the files that have "20030508" in their names.

Please do not send me requests to be unsubscribed from this mailing
list; I cannot process them.  Visit:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html

this page to unsubscribe.

Yours,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: GCC 3.3: Second prerelease available
@ 2003-05-09 17:16 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2003-05-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> The second GCC 3.3 prerelease is now available.
>
> It is anticipated that these bits will become the final GCC 3.3 release
> shortly.

Some of the .po files need to be updated from the Translation Project site
(replaced with the current 3.3-b20021230 versions from that site, where
they differ from those in CVS or CVS doesn't have a file for that
language) and gcc.pot needs to be regenerated (item 4 in releasing.html).
This isn't a problem in the prerelease as such - these updates are only
needed for final releases - but updates of .po files don't need to be done
right at the last minute when running the release either.  There is now
documentation in translation.html of these procedures and how to
regenerate gcc.pot, linked to from releasing.html, which you requested
some time ago.  (The i18n maintainer doesn't seem to have been actively
updating .po files for the past year; I did the last update but am not
currently in a position to commit changes.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: GCC 3.3: Second prerelease available
@ 2003-05-12 19:15   ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2003-05-12 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 10:16, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2003, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>
> > The second GCC 3.3 prerelease is now available.
> >
> > It is anticipated that these bits will become the final GCC 3.3 release
> > shortly.
>
> Some of the .po files need to be updated from the Translation Project site
> (replaced with the current 3.3-b20021230 versions from that site, where
> they differ from those in CVS or CVS doesn't have a file for that
> language)

Is there any easy way to determine whether they differ other than simply
using "cmp"?  (It would be nice to be able to do this without having to
actually download all of the files.)

--

@ 2003-05-12 19:28     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2003-05-12 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> Is there any easy way to determine whether they differ other than simply
> using "cmp"?  (It would be nice to be able to do this without having to
> actually download all of the files.)

I don't think there's any better method.  Ideally they would get committed
to CVS as and when they are sent to gcc-patches; absent that, for each
minor release from the branch you know that all .po files for the previous
minor release number should be installed - they'll at least have been
merged with the new .pot file from the previous release, even if there
have been no human changes to them.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk