* Info
@ 2003-09-10 10:24 TKostadinov
From: TKostadinov @ 2003-09-10 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC GNU

ifInterestedIn("C Programming") {
   singIn("groups.yahoo.com/group/prgC/");
}
else {
   doNothing();
Everybody with interests in C is invited.
Subscribe:  prgC-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Post message:  prgC@yahoogroups.com

With Best Regards
T. J. Kostadinov

* info
@ 2004-03-11 15:01 fredy.pena
From: fredy.pena @ 2004-03-11 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

doc?

[-- Attachment #2: Norton AntiVirus Deleted1.txt --]
[-- Type: plain/text, Size: 111 bytes --]

* Re: info
@ 2002-04-07 14:13   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-04-07 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryce McKinlay; +Cc: alex bohemia, gcc

Bryce> IMO, the "peerless" design of the kaffe AWT is not ideal for
Bryce> libgcj anyhow, so we might not want to use it even if there
Bryce> wasn't a license issue.

Yes.  And, anyway, our AWT is actually much more complete than most
people realize.  If you plug in the Classpath Gtk+ peers, the TestAWT
demo program (part of Classpath) pretty much works.  There's still a
lot of debugging to do, though.

Tom

* Re: info
@ 2002-04-01  4:52 ` Bryce McKinlay
From: Bryce McKinlay @ 2002-04-01  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex bohemia; +Cc: gcc

alex bohemia wrote:

>i was looking at the latest update for the gcj
>compiler, i was wondering why tell this moment the awt
>was not implemented when gnu could use kaffe libs or
>manta's libs which already generates machine code??
>as far as i know both kaffe and manta are free
>software.

The kaffe AWT's license is pure-GPL, unlike libgcj/classpath which is
GPL+linking exception. This means that you can link/run any code with
libgcj, regardless of the license of that code.

Manta uses the kaffe AWT, however their partial swing implementation was
written by them and has already been contributed to classpath.

IMO, the "peerless" design of the kaffe AWT is not ideal for libgcj
anyhow, so we might not want to use it even if there wasn't a license issue.

regards

Bryce.

* info
@ 2002-04-01  2:34 alex bohemia
From: alex bohemia @ 2002-04-01  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

hi,
i was looking at the latest update for the gcj
compiler, i was wondering why tell this moment the awt
was not implemented when gnu could use kaffe libs or
manta's libs which already generates machine code??
as far as i know both kaffe and manta are free
software.

http://greetings.yahoo.com/

* Info
@ 2001-03-08 14:01 Marco Mangiante
From: Marco Mangiante @ 2001-03-08 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi friends,
there is a little time in which i can see also c#
in GNU compiler collection?
Bye

* Re: info
@ 2000-05-09 14:49 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-05-09 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, syedali011

> From: "Akbar A." <syedali011@earthlink.net>
> To: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 13:55:40 -0500

> well I am _LEARNING_ a lot of info from gcc and it's source code.

And don't worry, there is a lot left to learn...  :-)

> my question is this, if you give away your source code isn't it possible
> that your competitors could see what you are doing?

Yes.

> i know i am not a political person i am just a programmer, but how does that
> work?

Nicely.

Please see http://www.deja.com/usenet/ , and check out gnu.misc.discuss
over the past 8 or so years.  Look for the terms Cygnus/GPL/Rehat and
so on.  Please see http://www.fsf.org/ , for example,
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/philosophy.html#AboutFreeSoftware , After
reading all that, please ask any remaining questions on
gnu.misc.discuss.

* Re: info
@ 2000-05-09 14:02   ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-05-09 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: syedali011; +Cc: gcc

> my question is this, if you give away your source code isn't it possible
> that your competitors could see what you are doing?

Yes, that's entirely possible. However, if they derive work from GCC,
they have to follow the General Public License (GPL); see COPYING for
details.

> i know i am not a political person i am just a programmer, but how
> does that work?

Well, I'm not sure what your concern is. People contributing to GCC
know that they won't be payed for their contributions per se (although
some still make a living out of it).

> sorry for being o.t. it just seemed like a lot of you make a living off
> opensource code and working with companys that do not offer an ipo.

I personally don't make a living out of free software; I have other
sources of funding.

> do people pay you to write software code?

Some are payed to do so, yes.

> isn't that what the company's employess are for?

Well, companies *do* pay employees to develop GCC; most notably
Cygnus/RedHat and CodeSourcery are such companies. Sometimes the
companies donate code for GCC, sometimes employees work on GCC in
their spare time as well.

> like my sister gets paid 44,000 us dollars every year to write manuals for
> adobe photoshop 5.0 ("technical writer") _EVEN_ though there is already
> awsome one in the online help in most of the works she writes about. she
> told me that the people that work with at the company are too arrogant to so
> and "look for online help". is this true?

I can imagine that there are people that don't know how to read online
help, and need a printed book instead. Likewise, there are people that
*never* read a printed book, and expect online help all the time. And
then there are people that don't read documentation at all, and expect
to understand every program without documentation.

Regards,
Martin

* info
@ 2000-05-09 11:56 ` Akbar A.
From: Akbar A. @ 2000-05-09 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

hello.
well I am _LEARNING_ a lot of info from gcc and it's source code. It seems
that all i have been doing ;)
my question is this, if you give away your source code isn't it possible
that your competitors could see what you are doing?
i know i am not a political person i am just a programmer, but how does that
work?
sorry for being o.t. it just seemed like a lot of you make a living off
opensource code and working with companys that do not offer an ipo.
do people pay you to write software code?
isn't that what the company's employess are for?
like my sister gets paid 44,000 us dollars every year to write manuals for
adobe photoshop 5.0 ("technical writer") _EVEN_ though there is already
awsome one in the online help in most of the works she writes about. she
told me that the people that work with at the company are too arrogant to so
and "look for online help". is this true? i guess what i need is a second
opinion.
But she also does a lot of bank software technical writing as well.
again. sorry for being so o.t
please e-mail me directly.
peace,
akbar A.

* Re: info
@ 1999-10-31 23:35   ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: taxpro; +Cc: gcc

This is a mailing list. You'll have to specifically ask what kind of
information you want.

Regards,
Martin

* info