* why does GCC have so many tests?
@ 2003-10-17 16:44 Jonathan Wilson
From: Jonathan Wilson @ 2003-10-17 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am guessing that the tests are:
1.tests for bugs that have been fixed (to make sure they STAY fixed)
2.tests for things that may look like bugs to some people but which arent
in fact bugs because the standard says to do things that way
and 3.tests for things that work to make sure they stay working.

Any other reason for all the tests?

* Re: why does GCC have so many tests?
@ 2003-10-17 19:04 ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2003-10-17 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 07:54, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> I am guessing that the tests are:
> 1.tests for bugs that have been fixed (to make sure they STAY fixed)
> 2.tests for things that may look like bugs to some people but which arent
> in fact bugs because the standard says to do things that way
> and 3.tests for things that work to make sure they stay working.
>
> Any other reason for all the tests?

That just about covers it. And if you think that's a lot of tests check
out some of the commercial conformance tests...

-eric

--
Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>

* Re: why does GCC have so many tests?
@ 2003-10-17 23:32 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-10-17 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: echristo, jonwil; +Cc: gcc

> That just about covers it. And if you think that's a lot of tests check
> out some of the commercial conformance tests...
>
> -eric

Indeed ... for GNAT we have a test suite with many millions of lines of code and
some tens of thousands of files. Unfortunately this test suite cannot be made
generally available, since it contains large amounts of customer proprietary code.

* Re: why does GCC have so many tests?
@ 2003-10-17 16:55 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-10-17 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, jonwil

> Any other reason for all the tests?

Quality assurance? Reliability?

(this is a bit of a peculiar question I must say, complex software needs complex
sets of tests, in fact if anything, the concern is that the publicly available
test suites for gcc are inadequate).