* RE: Can code compiled with g++ 3.3.1 run with earlier versions of compiler runtime environment?
@ 2004-09-10  8:14 Arora, Sudhanshu
From: Arora, Sudhanshu @ 2004-09-10  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James E Wilson, Rathi, Dinesh; +Cc: gcc

Thanks a lot for your reply. But I don't understand what do you mean by 'configure gcc --disable-shared'. I tried this option in my env and it doesn't work. Do I have to do something else to make this work? Is it equivalent to static option in gcc. i.e will it create static libs for me instead of dynamic libs?
Thanks,
Sudhanshu

From: James E Wilson @ 2004-09-10 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arora, Sudhanshu; +Cc: Rathi, Dinesh, gcc

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 23:53, Arora, Sudhanshu wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your reply. But I don't understand what do you mean by 'configure gcc --disable-shared'.

--disable-shared is a configure option.  Add it to the command line you
use to configure gcc.

>  I tried this option in my env and it doesn't work.

You didn't give an actual bug report, so I am not able to help.
"doesn't work" isn't enough info to go on.

> Is it equivalent to static option in gcc. i.e will it create static libs for me instead of dynamic libs?

Yes, it will build only static libraries.  This is different than using
-static, because -static will link in a static libstdc++, but it will
also link in static system libraries like /lib/libc.so.  If you
configure gcc with the --disable-shared option, then when you link you
will get a static libstdc++ and a dynamic /lib/libc.so which is better.

* RE: Can code compiled with g++ 3.3.1 run with earlier versions of compiler runtime environment?
@ 2004-09-10 20:43 ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2004-09-10 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rathi, Dinesh; +Cc: gcc, Arora, Sudhanshu

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 23:32, Rathi, Dinesh wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the response ! Just one quick question, are the binaries for libstdc++ available standalone ?

We don't distribute binaries, only sources.

There are binaries available from various places for various different
operating systems, but generally this is for non-free operating systems
that don't come with gcc.  I don't know if there is a place to get
exactly what you want.

* RE: Can code compiled with g++ 3.3.1 run with earlier versions of compiler runtime environment?
@ 2004-09-10  6:43 Rathi, Dinesh
From: Rathi, Dinesh @ 2004-09-10  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James E Wilson; +Cc: gcc, Arora, Sudhanshu

Thanks a lot for the response ! Just one quick question, are the binaries for libstdc++ available standalone ? I mean can I ask my client to get it from some third party site (only the new libstdc++ and not new compiler). I wish to avoid redistribution or static linking.

Thanks
Dinesh

@ 2004-09-09 21:56 ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2004-09-09 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rathi, Dinesh; +Cc: gcc, sarora

@ 2004-09-08 14:11 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2004-09-08 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rathi, Dinesh; +Cc: gcc

Rathi, Dinesh wrote:
> Hi
> 	I have an application built with g++ 3.3.1 (Redhat Linux) and I was trying to run it on a machine with g++ 2.9.x installed. I get an error related to libstdc++.so.5 that the library was not found. I wanted to know if I can run a code compiled using g++ 3.3.1 on a machine with a an earlier compiler ? Why does the executable has to work with libstdc++.so.5, can it work with libstdc++.so.3 etc?

The C++ ABI was reimplemented at G++ 3.0. C++ object code from pre and post
3.0 will not interoperate.

nathan

* Can code compiled with g++ 3.3.1 run with earlier versions of compiler runtime environment?
@ 2004-09-08  8:50 Rathi, Dinesh