* Large, modular C++ application performance ...
@ 2005-07-29 19:49 michael meeks
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: michael meeks @ 2005-07-29 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi there,

	I've been doing a little thinking about how to improve OO.o startup
performance recently; and - well, relocation processing happens to be
the single, biggest thing that most tools flag.

	Anyhow - so I wrote up the problem, and a couple of potential
solutions / extensions / workarounds, and - being of a generally
clueless nature, was hoping to solicit instruction from those of a more
enlightened disposition.

	All input much appreciated; no doubt my terminology is irritatingly up
the creek, hopefully the sentiment will win through.

	http://go-oo.org/~michael/OOoStartup.pdf

	Two solutions are proposed - there are almost certainly more that I'm
not thinking of. I'm interested in people's views as to which approach
is best. So far the constructor hook approach seems to be the path of
least resistance.

	Thanks,

		Michael.

* re: Large, modular C++ application performance ...
@ 2005-07-30 15:19 dank
From: dank @ 2005-07-30 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: michael.meeks

MM wrote in http://go-oo.org/~michael/OOoStartup.pdf:
"... not one slot was overridden by an implementation
method external to the implementing library."

Hmm.  For some reason that reminds me of the 'final'
keyword which is periodically proposed
(e.g. http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-02/msg01483.html).
Is this a situation where 'final' would have a benefit?