* Bootstrap failure on powerpc-apple-darwin8 with Ada
@ 2005-08-19 22:17 Chris Douty
From: Chris Douty @ 2005-08-19 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Howdy,

My last two attempts to build mainline on darwin8 have failed with a
bugbox in Ada.

+===========================GNAT BUG
DETECTED==============================+
| 4.1.0 20050819 (experimental) (powerpc-apple-darwin8.3.0) GCC
error:     |
| tree check: expected class expression, have
exceptional                  |
|    (constructor) in get_base_var, at ipa-utils.c:
224                     |
| Error detected at a-except.adb:
1411:4                                    |
| Please submit a bug report; see http://gcc.gnu.org/
bugs.html.            |
| Use a subject line meaningful to you and us to track the
bug.            |
| Include the entire contents of this bug box in the
report.               |
| Include the exact gcc or gnatmake command that you
entered.              |
| Also include sources listed below in gnatchop
format                     |
| (concatenated together with no headers between
files).                   |
+=======================================================================
===+

Please include these source files with error report
Note that list may not be accurate in some cases,
so please double check that the problem can still
be reproduced with the set of files listed.

raised TYPES.UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR : comperr.adb:380
make[2]: *** [ada/a-except.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [stage2_build] Error 2
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Previously I got this:

+===========================GNAT BUG
DETECTED==============================+
| 4.1.0 20050817 (experimental) (powerpc-apple-darwin8.3.0) Bus
error      |
| Error detected at a-except.adb:
1411:4                                    |
| Please submit a bug report; see http://gcc.gnu.org/
bugs.html.            |
| Use a subject line meaningful to you and us to track the
bug.            |
| Include the entire contents of this bug box in the
report.               |
| Include the exact gcc or gnatmake command that you
entered.              |
| Also include sources listed below in gnatchop
format                     |
| (concatenated together with no headers between
files).                   |
+=======================================================================
===+

Please include these source files with error report
Note that list may not be accurate in some cases,
so please double check that the problem can still
be reproduced with the set of files listed.

raised TYPES.UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR : comperr.adb:380
make[2]: *** [ada/a-except.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [stage2_build] Error 2
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Clearly the same error, but different message.

I am bootstrapping with gcc 4.0.0.  This is the configure line:
/Volumes/Playland/projects/gnu/gcc-stuff/gcc-HEAD/configure --prefix=/
opt/gcc410 --enable-shared \
  --with-mpfr=/opt/local --with-gmp=/opt/local --enable-
languages=c,ada,c++,f95,objc

Thanks,
     Chris

--
Christopher Douty <Chris_Douty@ampexdata.com> +1-650-367-3129
Senior Engineer, Software & Systems  - AMPEX Data Systems Corp.

* Re: Bootstrap failure on powerpc-apple-darwin8 with Ada
@ 2005-08-22 11:38 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2005-08-22 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rth; +Cc: gcc

    I disbelieve you can get this in C or C++.  The fragment above is a
    syntax error.  AFAIK, all of this is simple laziness in the Ada front
    end: generating &<constructor> is how things were done at the
    beginning of time, and it was easier to change this in the gimplifier
    than to modify the code that generated this directly.

Well, it's more that what this should get changed to is the address of a
temporary and the gimplifier already has code to make the temporaries
so why duplicate that code in Gigi?