* Question regarding copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-07  0:57 Antoni Boucher
From: Antoni Boucher @ 2022-10-07  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, assign

Hi.
I contribute to gcc outside of work, but I'm about to sign a new work
contract which contains a work ownership clause saying that I give the
ownership to the company of any work not listed in some appendix.

What exactly should I list to make sure my contributions to GCC are not
affected by this?
Do I need to do something more than this to make sure there are no
issues with the FSF copyright assignment?

Thanks.

* Re: Question regarding copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-07 15:00 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2022-10-07 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antoni Boucher; +Cc: gcc, assign

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 8:58 PM Antoni Boucher via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
wrote:

> Hi.
> I contribute to gcc outside of work, but I'm about to sign a new work
> contract which contains a work ownership clause saying that I give the
> ownership to the company of any work not listed in some appendix.
>
> What exactly should I list to make sure my contributions to GCC are not
> affected by this?
> Do I need to do something more than this to make sure there are no
> issues with the FSF copyright assignment?

We cannot provide legal advice, employment advice or labor advice.

One option is for you to contribute through a copyright assignment by your
company or DCO authorized by your company.  Another option is to enumerate
FOSS projects in your employment agreement, if your company and hiring
manager will permit that.  The term GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) is
interpreted to include the compiler and all components, including runtime
libraries.  You also might consider listing GLIBC, GDB and BINUTILS for
completeness and potential overlap.  Those four components are the terms
used for Free Software Foundation copyright assignment forms and in the FSF
file listing copyright assignments.

Thanks, David

* Re: Question regarding copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-07 15:47 ` Craig Topham
From: Craig Topham @ 2022-10-07 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Antoni,

You'll want to get an employer disclaimer signed by your employer to
make sure your contributions cannot be claimed by them. Please email
assign@fsf.org and we can work through the process.

--
All the best,

Craig Topham
Copyright & Licensing Associate
Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
Boston, MA 02110
Phone: +1-617-542-5942
Fax: +1-617-542-2652
Email: craigt@fsf.org
GPG key: 36C9 950D 2F68 254E D89C 7C03 F9C1 3A10 581A B853