* Entry for the LITERATURE
@ 1997-11-07  9:14 Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 1997-11-07  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I just came across this jewel:

*** QUOTE ***

From: metcalf@mail.cern.ch (Mike METCALF)
Subject: XLF - all is revealed
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:12:21 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran

There are often discussions/speculations here about how given
compilers optimize source code, and in particular about how they
deal with optimal use of cache memory. I have just noticed a paper
describing exactly how this is done in IBM's xlf compiler, using the
-qhot option, as of version 4. The reference is: IBM J. Res.
Develop., 41, 3, May 1997, 233-264 - Automatic selection of
high-order transformations in the IBM XL Fortran compiler, V.
Sarkar.

Highly recommended.

                Mike Metcalf

*** UNQUOTE ***

Mike Metcalf is a long time (i.e. since mid-60's) CERN scientist
who has been on various Fortran Standardisation bodies.

I hope this paper saves me a lot of explaining my `after the
release' wish-list for Fortran specific optimisations :-)

David (Edelsohn), is this paper online somewhere ?

Cheers,
Toon.

* Re: Entry for the LITERATURE
@ 1997-11-07 11:15 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1997-11-07 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: egcs

Toon> There are often discussions/speculations here about how given
Toon> compilers optimize source code, and in particular about how they
Toon> deal with optimal use of cache memory. I have just noticed a paper
Toon> describing exactly how this is done in IBM's xlf compiler, using the
Toon> -qhot option, as of version 4. The reference is: IBM J. Res.
Toon> Develop., 41, 3, May 1997, 233-264 - Automatic selection of
Toon> high-order transformations in the IBM XL Fortran compiler, V.
Toon> Sarkar.

Toon> David (Edelsohn), is this paper online somewhere ?

	This article is in the current issue of the IBM Journal of
Research and Development entitled "Performance analysis and its impact on
design (PAID)".  The web site for this journal is

	http://www.almaden.ibm.com/journal/

The link for the current issue leads to a table of contents and links for
individual articles.  The abstract is online as HTML and the full text of
the article is online as ASCII.  As stated at the site, copying fee
specified above the article title in the full text is to be paid through
the Copyright Clearance Center in Massachusetts.

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center
dje@watson.ibm.com                                  P.O. Box 218
+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

* Re: Entry for the LITERATURE
@ 1997-11-08 21:12   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-11-08 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: Toon Moene, egcs

  In message < 9711071915.AA24282@rios1.watson.ibm.com >you write:
  > 	This article is in the current issue of the IBM Journal of
  > Research and Development entitled "Performance analysis and its impact on
  > design (PAID)".  The web site for this journal is
  >
  > 	http://www.almaden.ibm.com/journal/
I put a pointer to the site in the LITERATURE file.  Thanks!

jeff