From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
To: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>
Cc: bothner@cygnus.com (Per Bothner), egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Successful Build and Install
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 11:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

  In message <199803261957.LAA15374@atrus.synopsys.com>you write:
  > It seems that we would only want:
  > * reports of failures on systems we believe to work
  > * reports of successes *or* failures on systems we haven't tested.
  >
  > So we should be telling folks something like: if you run X, Y, or Z,
  > let us know if the install fails or there are large numbers of test
  > failures.  If you have something more exotic, we'd appreciate a report
  > if you build successfully.  And the list can be dynamic: if we hadn't
  > verified, say, FreeBSD 2.2.6 but some user does, we can indicate that.
This is probably the right general direction for minor releases.

However at each major release it's probably useful to get these
reports for all systems -- including those we regularly work on.

It's been my experience that as a developer I know how to build
things dead cold.  It's amazing what kinds of problems are exposed
by folks that don't build compilers every day...

jeff