* re: GCC 4.0.1 - iostream: No such file or dir....
@ 2005-08-06 15:49 dank
From: dank @ 2005-08-06 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: cgarrett

Chris Garrett <cgarrett@degarrah.com> wrote:
> main.cpp:5: error: 'cout' was not declared in this scope

This question should have been sent to gcc-help, not here.

But as long as I'm answering:

It's std::cout now, according to the C++ standard.
If you want to compile old code that wasn't aware of std,
you can stick
  using namespace std;
at the top.

* Re: GCC 4.0.1 - iostream: No such file or dir....
@ 2005-08-07 20:19 ` Chris Garrett
From: Chris Garrett @ 2005-08-07 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

dank@kegel.com wrote:

>Chris Garrett <cgarrett@degarrah.com> wrote:
>

>>main.cpp:5: error: 'cout' was not declared in this scope
>>

>This question should have been sent to gcc-help, not here.

Sorry about this. What criteria is there for posting to gcc vs gcc-help?

>But as long as I'm answering:
>
>It's std::cout now, according to the C++ standard.
>If you want to compile old code that wasn't aware of std,
>you can stick
>  using namespace std;
>at the top.

Thanks for answering, I forgot to mention that I did try adding the
namespace prefix and also the "using" statement and I get the same error.

Thank you

Chris

* Re: GCC 4.0.1 - iostream: No such file or dir....
@ 2005-08-08  4:10   ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-08-08  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Garrett; +Cc: gcc

On Sunday, August 7, 2005, at 01:19  PM, Chris Garrett wrote:
> dank@kegel.com wrote:
>
>> Chris Garrett <cgarrett@degarrah.com> wrote:
>>
>>> main.cpp:5: error: 'cout' was not declared in this scope
>>>
>> This question should have been sent to gcc-help, not here.
>>
> Sorry about this. What criteria is there for posting to gcc vs
> gcc-help?

If you want to contribute to the source code of gcc, the compiler, then
those contributions go to gcc.  If one is using gcc, those issues go to
gcc-help.

* Re: GCC 4.0.1 - iostream: No such file or dir....
@ 2005-08-08 17:40     ` Chris Garrett
From: Chris Garrett @ 2005-08-08 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Mike Stump wrote:

>> Sorry about this. What criteria is there for posting to gcc vs gcc-help?
>

> If you want to contribute to the source code of gcc, the compiler,
> then those contributions go to gcc.  If one is using gcc, those issues
> go to gcc-help.

Ok Thank you

Chris

* GCC 4.0.1 - iostream: No such file or dir....
@ 2005-08-06  4:52 Chris Garrett
From: Chris Garrett @ 2005-08-06  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I finally got 4.0.1 built in msys. I must have screwed up my msys/gcc
setup because a clean install of msys and gcc-3.4.1 worked. I started
with a simple test:

main.cpp:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
        cout << "Hello\n";
        return 0;
}

then I try and build it:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
chris@NEPTUNE /d/tmp/simple$ g++ main.cpp -o main
main.cpp:1:20: error: iostream: No such file or directory
main.cpp: In function 'int main()':
main.cpp:5: error: 'cout' was not declared in this scope

I looked thru in /mingw/include/c++/4.0.1 and iostream exists in that
directory. Is there something I'm missing? Do you need to specify gcc's
include directories explicitly now?

Thank you

Chris

My system details:
WinXP Pro
GCC 3.4.1
Msys

config cmd:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../gcc-4.0.1/configure \
        --prefix=/mingw \
        --with-gcc \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --with-gnu-as \
        --enable-threads \
        --disable-shared \
        --disable-nls \
        --enable-languages=c,c++,f95 \
        --disable-win32-registry \
        --with-gmp=/usr/local/gmp-4.1.4

make cmd:
make \
        CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer" \
        CXXFLAGS="-mthreads -O2 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer" \
        LIBCFLAGS="-O2" \
        LIBCXXFLAGS="-O2 -fno-implicit-templates" \
        LDFLAGS="-s" \
        bootstrap