* Building egcs with gas
@ 1997-12-08 21:26 Jerry Quinn
From: Jerry Quinn @ 1997-12-08 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I am trying to build egcs 1.0 on HPUX9.05, although the question is more
generic.  Since it requires gas 2.8 which I haven't built yet, I am trying to
figure out how to do this in conjunction with egcs.

For past versions of gcc, gas was built separately and a link or copy put into
the gcc source directory and into the install lib directory.  The directions
supplied for ecgs don't make clear at all how gas should be hooked in.

In particular, the directions in build.html mention building host and target
tools.  I've never gotten a satisfactory answer on this question before, but
the directory trees appear as if the subdirectories of binutils and other
missing tools should be in under the same directory as the subdirectories of
the egcs distribution.  However, there are conflicts.  For example, libiberty
is different between the two distribs (presumably the egcs version is more
correct, but may not be compatible with the binutils build).  Should they be
merged or kept separate?

In general, how should gas be built and added into egcs?

Jerry Quinn              Tel: (514) 761-8737
jquinn@nortel.ca         Fax: (514) 761-8505
Speech Technology Infrastructure

* Re: Building egcs with gas
@ 1997-12-08 21:46 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-08 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerry Quinn; +Cc: egcs

  > For past versions of gcc, gas was built separately and a link or
  > copy put into the gcc source directory and into the install lib
  > directory.
This will still work, though I don't recommend it.

As stated in the faq, the easiest way to make this work is to configure
gas/binutils with the same prefix as egcs, then build and install gas.

Then build and install egcs.

jeff