From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
To: Joe Buck <jbuck@possibly.synopsys.com>
Cc: bkoz@rcygnus.com (Benjamin Kosnik), gcc@gcc.gnu.org, magfr56@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: sstream
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:22:00 -0000	[thread overview]

  In message < 200002161831.KAA11821@possibly.synopsys.com >you write:

  > > v3 already has working stringstreams. Even standards-compliant
  > > stringstreams. Perhaps you should use them?
  >
  > Benjamin,
  >
  > If you want to promote the use of v3, then the first thing you might want
  > to do is to update http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/status.html
  > and the files linked to it.  Right now, the status refers to the 2.90.6
  > release and indicates that the code is nowhere near ready to use.  I
  > know that the current version is better than that, but if you don't
  > update the status pages people will rightly assume that the code is
  > not ready to use.
  >
  > Furthermore there are a lot of people who need binary compatibility
  > with libstdc++ v2 shared libraries already out there.
I talked to Benjamin last week about some of this stuff, and we may be at
a point where switching to libstdc++ v3 makes sense.

My understanding is v3 now has a superset of the functionality found in v2
and should work for all the common platforms (some configury hacking will
be necessary for oddball platforms).  Canadian crosses haven't been tested,
but Benjamin thinks they will work modulo the usual nits.

The biggest question in my mind is compatibility and interactions with
libio on systems which embed libio into libc (ie linux).

jeffk