* Re: gcc for HP-UX 8.0
@ 2000-03-15 12:29 Robert M. Coben
From: Robert M. Coben @ 2000-03-15 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

One step forward, two steps backward.....

Short version:
	I need gcc on HP-UX 8.0 in order to compile CSSC
(the SCCS work-alike) to deal with Y2K issues in that
environment. A previous suggestion from this list was to go
back to gcc version 2.5.7, which was thought to be buildable
under HP-UX 8.0. Follwoing that suggestion I did get gcc 2.5.8
which *did* build (apparently) successfully. However, the
oldest version of libg++ that I can find is 2.7.1, which
will NOT build with gcc 2.5.8. (I actually found a reference
in a README that says that you need at least gcc 2.6.something
to build libg++ 2.7.1)

My question is this - does anyone know where I can get the
version of libg++ that will build with gcc 2.5.8 so that I
can continue with my quest to build CSSC and get out from
under the Y2K rock that has fallen on me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that may be forthcoming.
Please reply to me directly at rob@Polymorphic-Services.com
since I do not follow the gcc list on a regular basis.....

.....Rob

* Re: gcc for HP-UX 8.0
@ 2000-03-15 13:18 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-03-15 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob; +Cc: gcc

  In message < 38CFF2BF.A10BF1A5@Polymorphic-Services.com >you write:
  > One step forward, two steps backward.....
  >
  > Short version:
  > 	I need gcc on HP-UX 8.0 in order to compile CSSC
  > (the SCCS work-alike) to deal with Y2K issues in that
  > environment. A previous suggestion from this list was to go
  > back to gcc version 2.5.7, which was thought to be buildable
  > under HP-UX 8.0. Follwoing that suggestion I did get gcc 2.5.8
  > which *did* build (apparently) successfully. However, the
  > oldest version of libg++ that I can find is 2.7.1, which
  > will NOT build with gcc 2.5.8. (I actually found a reference
  > in a README that says that you need at least gcc 2.6.something
  > to build libg++ 2.7.1)
  >
  > My question is this - does anyone know where I can get the
  > version of libg++ that will build with gcc 2.5.8 so that I
  > can continue with my quest to build CSSC and get out from
  > under the Y2K rock that has fallen on me.
  >
  > Thanks in advance for any assistance that may be forthcoming.
  > Please reply to me directly at rob@Polymorphic-Services.com
  > since I do not follow the gcc list on a regular basis.....
You might look at the old U of Utah site -- it used to contain everything
pre-built and ready to run, including libg++.

It hasn't been updated since I left the UofU approx 5 years ago; so you
might be able to find a vintage version of the tools there.

ftp://jaguar.cs.uth.edu/dist

jeff

* Re: gcc for HP-UX 8.0
@ 2000-02-02 14:43   ` Robert M. Coben
From: Robert M. Coben @ 2000-02-02 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin v. Loewis; +Cc: gcc

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try 2.5.7 and let you know how that
goes. I had all sorts of problems with 2.95.2.
    - The HP version of cpp overflowed it's internal tables. I found an
	  obscure compiler option (-Wp,-H256000) that fixed that one.
    - The HP-UX version of "sh" overflowed some internal buffer in
      gcc/fixproto. I changed the first line to use ksh instead.
    - I removed the -O option because the HP optomizer is brain-dead.
    - In gcc/cppinit.c, the fputs() at the very end has *many* lines of
      input concatenated together which was too long for the HP cc. I
      broke it into 5 or six separate fputs() calls.
    - In gcc/config there is a file named xm-alloca.h, but the source code
      was looking for xm_alloca.h. I merely linked the two names to the
      same file.
    - I built the gnu as and ld (binutils) and invoked configure with
the
      appropriate options (--with-gnu-as and --with-gnu-ld) thinking it might
      help, which it did not.

It managed to get all the way the the stage1 stuff and then make stopped because
of an unresolved reference to __divdi3 (and a bunch of other similar things
that I don't recal at the moment.) I am at a loss as how to procced past the
stage1 errors. I saved the output from make if the expicit details would
be of any help. Thanks again for your help.....
.....Rob

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > I am having MANY problems building gcc-2.95.2 and was wondering
> > if you knew of a prior version of gcc (which supports c++) that
> > *is* buildable in the HP-UX 8.0 environment?
>
> I'm not certain, but I guess if you go back to gcc 2.5.7, it may work,
> and it definitely supports C++ as well.
>
> > I have already been to the HP Porting Center and unfortunately they
> > only have binaries for HP's 700 series systems, and I have HP 300
> > series machines, which are not binary compatible with the 700s.
>
> What kinds of problems did you experience with compiling gcc 2.95?
> Perhaps people on this list can provide assistance?
>
> Regards,
> Martin

* Re: gcc for HP-UX 8.0
@ 2000-02-02 12:13 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-02-02 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob; +Cc: gcc

> I am having MANY problems building gcc-2.95.2 and was wondering
> if you knew of a prior version of gcc (which supports c++) that
> *is* buildable in the HP-UX 8.0 environment?

I'm not certain, but I guess if you go back to gcc 2.5.7, it may work,
and it definitely supports C++ as well.

> I have already been to the HP Porting Center and unfortunately they
> only have binaries for HP's 700 series systems, and I have HP 300
> series machines, which are not binary compatible with the 700s.

What kinds of problems did you experience with compiling gcc 2.95?
Perhaps people on this list can provide assistance?

Regards,
Martin

* gcc for HP-UX 8.0
@ 2000-02-01  8:59 Robert M. Coben
From: Robert M. Coben @ 2000-02-01  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I need to build gcc on an HP-UX 8.0 system in order to compile
CSSC as a replacement to SCCS, to fix Y2K issues with that system,
which is no longer supported by HP directly.

I am having MANY problems building gcc-2.95.2 and was wondering
if you knew of a prior version of gcc (which supports c++) that
*is* buildable in the HP-UX 8.0 environment?

I have already been to the HP Porting Center and unfortunately
they only have binaries for HP's 700 series systems, and I have
HP 300 series machines, which are not binary compatible with the
700s.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide......
.....Rob Coben
     Polymorphic Services, Inc.
     732-899-7227 (Voice)