* egcs-1.0.2 stuff
@ 1998-02-09  0:47 Jeffrey A Law
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-02-09  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I've started putting together some patches for the egcs-1.0.2 release.
Like egcs-1.0.1 we want to fix critical bugs.

We don't have any kind of a schedule yet, but I figured it was worth
letting folks go ahead and poke at the changes.

Right now these are only available on the cvs server; I'll bundle
them up for ftp after I take care of a few more critical fixes.

To check out the release branch, go into an empty directory and
issue the command:

cvs -z 9 co -regcs_1_00_branch egcs

I don't recommend trying to use a single checked out tree to move
back and forth between the mainline sources and the release branch.
Instead keep a tree for the mainline sources and a tree for the branch.

The changes I've already installed on the release branch:

  * Fixes for some of the memory explosion problems:

    * Lazy allocation of label maps.

    * Don't call save_for_inline_copy if we just want -Wreturn-type.

  * libstdc++ should be up to date (read link compatable) with
  libstdc++ 2.8.0.

  * Fix to avoid duplicate symbol problems on systems that don't
  support weak symbols.

  * Patch for loop optimizer bug found on rs6000/ppc port.

  * Patch to fix stdarg bug for irix6.

  * Fix compiler crash on ommitted bound in fortran CASE statement.

  * Add missing entries to g77 lang-options.

  * Fix problems with -fpedantic in the g77 compiler.

  * Fix problem with static linking on sco5.

  * Fix problem bootstrapping with native "cc" on sco5.

  * Patch for compiler abort on very long thunk names.

Stuff still to take care of:

  * I thought there was a 3rd patch for the memory explosion
  problems.  Is that not the case?

  * 386 backend problem with literals vs PIC (or whatever it was that
  rth recently fixed :-)

  * Some problems with glibc2.1.

  * Collect2 fixes to deal with various aix library problems.

  * Toon also reported a nasty g77 problem; I don't know if it
  was fixed by one of the g77 changes I brought into the branch
  or not.

  * Other critical bugfixes that I've missed (such as...?)

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 stuff
@ 1998-02-09 14:46 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-02-09 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs, law

> To: egcs@cygnus.com
> Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 01:48:55 -0700
> From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>

> I've started putting together some patches for the egcs-1.0.2 release.
> Like egcs-1.0.1 we want to fix critical bugs.

> We don't have any kind of a schedule yet, but I figured it was worth
> letting folks go ahead and poke at the changes.

> Right now these are only available on the cvs server; I'll bundle
> them up for ftp after I take care of a few more critical fixes.

1998-01-28  Mike Stump  <mrs@wrs.com>

        * rtlanal.c (dead_or_set_regno_p): Ignore REG_DEAD notes after
        reload completes.
        * genattrtab.c (reload_completed): Define.

Seems like a win for stability and robustness v bugginess, though it
should be very minor win (many not even important enough for the
release).  Kenner thought it was fairly safe also.