* 970929 snapshot on SCO
@ 1997-10-01 11:31 Bill Walker
From: Bill Walker @ 1997-10-01 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

This is snapshot 970929

 I am using SCO OSR 5.0.2d, with SCO's development system on
 an Altos 17000 with 4 processors.

 I was able to build egcs from the September 9 snapshot, but have
 not been able to build it with any later snapshot.

 Any ideas ?

 BW
 Script started on Wed Oct  1 11:38:03 1997

 cs3: [11:38] 13% cd gcc
 cs3: [11:38] 14% make CFLAGS="" LANGUAGES=c

 [ lots of stuff snipped ]

 make GCC_FOR_TARGET="./xgcc -B./" \
   AR="ar" AR_FLAGS="rc" CC="cc " CFLAGS="" \
   HOST_PREFIX="" HOST_PREFIX_1="loser-" \
   LANGUAGES="c" \
   LIBGCC2_CFLAGS="-O2   -DIN_GCC     -I./include   -g1 -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED  -mcoff" libgcc2.a
 make[2]: Entering directory `/usr1/faculty/bw/downloads/www.cygnus.com/egcs-970929/gcc'
 rm -f tmplibgcc2.a
 for name in _muldi3 _divdi3 _moddi3 _udivdi3 _umoddi3 _negdi2 _lshrdi3 _ashldi3 _ashrdi3 _ffsdi2 _udiv_w_sdiv _udivmoddi4 _cmpdi2 _ucmpdi2 _floatdidf _floatdisf _fixunsdfsi _fixunssfsi _fixunsdfdi _fixdfdi _fixunssfdi _fixsfdi _fixxfdi _fixunsxfdi _floatdixf _fixunsxfsi _fixtfdi _fixunstfdi _floatditf __gcc_bcmp _varargs __dummy _eprintf _op_new _op_vnew _new_handler _op_delete _op_vdel _bb _shtab _clear_cache _trampoline __main _exit _ctors _eh  _pure; \
 do \
   echo ${name}; \
   ./xgcc -B./ -O2   -DIN_GCC     -I./include   -g1 -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED  -mcoff -I. -I. -I./config -c -DL${name} \
       ./libgcc2.c -o ${name}.o; \
   if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then true; else exit 1; fi; \
   ar rc tmplibgcc2.a ${name}.o; \
   rm -f ${name}.o; \
 done
 _muldi3
 Assembler: libgcc2.c
 	aline 172	: Section name too long
 	aline 174	: Illegal subtraction
 	aline 191	: Illegal subtraction
 make[2]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
 make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr1/faculty/bw/downloads/www.cygnus.com/egcs-970929/gcc'
 make[1]: *** [stmp-multilib-sub] Error 2
 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr1/faculty/bw/downloads/www.cygnus.com/egcs-970929/gcc'
 make: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 1

 script done on Wed Oct  1 12:01:54 1997

--
Bill Walker Ph.D.
Chairman, Dept. of Computer Science

e-mail:  bw@cs.ecok.edu
phone:   405 332 8000 ext. 594
FAX:     405 332 4616

* Re: 970929 snapshot on SCO
@ 1997-10-01 13:14 ` Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1997-10-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Walker; +Cc: egcs

>  I am using SCO OSR 5.0.2d, with SCO's development system on
>  an Altos 17000 with 4 processors.

Waaah.  I want four processors. :-)   I'm glad to see more SCO
users on this list.   It'll help keep Kean and myself from feeling
so alone.

>  Assembler: libgcc2.c
>  	aline 172	: Section name too long
>  	aline 174	: Illegal subtraction
>  	aline 191	: Illegal subtraction

This has been discussed in the group before.   Look in the egcs mailing
list archives for conversations involving Jason and myself.

The summary of problem is that OpenServer generates both COFF and ELF
and when the new Dwarf2 unwinding stuff was added, it used features
that aren't available in the OpenServer COFF tools (long section names
and forward references are the two that are biting you right now, but
there are more to come. :-)   There are at least a couple of ways
around it, and some of them are described in the thread titled:
	"controlling exception type per target"
You should also blow through the thread titled:
	"970917 eh problems - bootstrap failure"

I've asked for guidance on implementing a Better Way, but right now,
the simplest solution is to edit defaults.h and change the #define of
DWARF2_UNWIND_INFO from 1 to 0.  Do not undef it.

My make bootstrap of 0929 on 5.0.4 with this kludge just finished
scant moments ago.

Enjoy.

RJL

* Re: 970929 snapshot on SCO
@ 1997-10-20 13:24 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-10-20 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Walker; +Cc: egcs

  In message < m0xGTZh-0000QTC@student.ecok.edu >you write:
  > This is snapshot 970929
  >

  >  I am using SCO OSR 5.0.2d, with SCO's development system on
  >  an Altos 17000 with 4 processors.
  >
  >  I was able to build egcs from the September 9 snapshot, but have
  >  not been able to build it with any later snapshot.
I believe this problem has been fixed for the next snapshot.

jeff

* Re: 970929 snapshot on SCO
@ 1997-10-20 18:12   ` Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1997-10-20 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Walker, egcs

>   >  I am using SCO OSR 5.0.2d, with SCO's development system on
>   >  an Altos 17000 with 4 processors.
>   >
>   >  I was able to build egcs from the September 9 snapshot, but have
>   >  not been able to build it with any later snapshot.
> I believe this problem has been fixed for the next snapshot.

I've been a little sloppy about testing every snapshot on OpenServer
lately, but now that the necessary patches have been accepted in the
masters, increasing the chances of someone else also seeing success,
I will be more aggressively testing it once again.

So, stay tuned.    Things will get different on OpenServer with the
next snapshot. :-)

RJL